Canon S300 printer - Not working. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Canon S300 printer - Not working. - Redhat ; I convinced my boss to go linux at work telling him that I had no problems at home. Unfortunately I look like a dick now. At work there is a Canon s300 printer. When I booted after installing Kudzu came ...

  1. Canon S300 printer - Not working.

    I convinced my boss to go linux at work telling him that I had no problems
    at home.

    Unfortunately I look like a dick now. At work there is a Canon s300
    printer. When I booted after installing Kudzu came up and asked me if I
    wanted it to configure the printer. I said yes. Upon trying to print
    nothing happened. No pages, No error message. I looked in the queue icon
    on the panel and it said that it was printing (a lie)

    I opened "Printing" under "System Settings" to examine it. Everything
    looked fine except for the queue type page. It had it going to
    /dev/usb/usblp0 which doesn't exist.

    What's wrong?

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  2. Re: Canon S300 printer - Not working.

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:12:20 +0000, Mark Healey thoughtfully wrote:

    > I convinced my boss to go linux at work telling him that I had no problems
    > at home.
    >
    > Unfortunately I look like a dick now. At work there is a Canon s300
    > printer. When I booted after installing Kudzu came up and asked me if I
    > wanted it to configure the printer. I said yes. Upon trying to print
    > nothing happened. No pages, No error message. I looked in the queue icon
    > on the panel and it said that it was printing (a lie)
    >
    > I opened "Printing" under "System Settings" to examine it. Everything
    > looked fine except for the queue type page. It had it going to
    > /dev/usb/usblp0 which doesn't exist.
    >
    > What's wrong?

    Is the printer attached parallel port, usb or network?
    Right now it is trying to print to the printer attached to the USB.

    If the printer isn't specifically supported by a CUPs (recommended) driver
    or gimp-print (-ijs) then try using an old model's driver.

  3. Re: Canon S300 printer - Not working.

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:39:45 +0000, noi wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:12:20 +0000, Mark Healey thoughtfully wrote:
    >
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > Is the printer attached parallel port, usb or network?
    > Right now it is trying to print to the printer attached to the USB.
    >
    > If the printer isn't specifically supported by a CUPs (recommended) driver
    > or gimp-print (-ijs) then try using an old model's driver.

    It's usb and it is supported by Cups (at least Kudzu detected it and chose
    an appropriate driver).

    I'm thinking it is udev. When I plug the printer in nothing new shows up
    in /dev. There is no /dev/usb* at all.

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  4. Re: Canon S300 printer - Not working.

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:08:20 +0000, Mark Healey thoughtfully wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:39:45 +0000, noi wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:12:20 +0000, Mark Healey thoughtfully wrote:
    >>
    >>> [quoted text muted]

    >> Is the printer attached parallel port, usb or network? Right now it is
    >> trying to print to the printer attached to the USB.
    >>
    >> If the printer isn't specifically supported by a CUPs (recommended)
    >> driver or gimp-print (-ijs) then try using an old model's driver.

    > It's usb and it is supported by Cups (at least Kudzu detected it and chose
    > an appropriate driver).
    >
    > I'm thinking it is udev. When I plug the printer in nothing new shows up
    > in /dev. There is no /dev/usb* at all.

    Yeah, I have a Lexmark Z54 which is finally working and shows
    /dev/usb/lp0

    In
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=Canon-S300
    others recommend using the s800 driver.

    Did you rescan for the device from the print setup utility?

  5. Re: Canon S300 printer - Not working.

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:29:18 +0000, noi wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:08:20 +0000, Mark Healey thoughtfully wrote:
    >
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > Yeah, I have a Lexmark Z54 which is finally working and shows
    > /dev/usb/lp0
    >
    > In
    > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=Canon-S300
    > others recommend using the s800 driver.

    How will this make udev create /dev/usb/lp0

    > Did you rescan for the device from the print setup utility?

    Yes.

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com