RCHE enough? - Redhat

This is a discussion on RCHE enough? - Redhat ; Is a RHCE enough to get a good job? I don't have a degree and now is not a good time to go back to school. I'm a long time computer nerd and Linux fan, but I've never worked on ...

  1. RCHE enough?

    Is a RHCE enough to get a good job? I don't have a degree and now is
    not a good time to go back to school. I'm a long time computer nerd
    and Linux fan, but I've never worked on Linux *at a job*.

    I feel I could study and pass the RHCE, but will it be enough or will I
    be waisting my time?

    Thanks,

    Tom

  2. Re: RCHE enough?

    On 6 Mar 2005 21:14:08 -0800, a posting issued forth from Tom...
    > Is a RHCE enough to get a good job? I don't have a degree and now is
    > not a good time to go back to school. I'm a long time computer nerd
    > and Linux fan, but I've never worked on Linux *at a job*.
    >
    > I feel I could study and pass the RHCE, but will it be enough or will I
    > be waisting my time?

    Nothing is "enough"... It will certainly help show you are well-versed
    in [Red Hat] Linux. It will make you more a valuable candidate, but
    don't count on it getting you a job. If you think you can obtain one,
    you should though. The rigor Red Hat tried to apply to the process does
    make this cert more valuable than a lot of others.

    GL
    --
    Jacob
    mailto:`echo wnpbo@urvqre.ubzryvahk.arg | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]`

  3. Re: RCHE enough?

    Thanks for your prompt reply! I guess what I am asking is will the
    fact that I have no degree or work experience prevent me from getting a
    job? I don't expect my first job to be great pay, but perhaps my 2nd
    job after I have both experience and the RHCE. Or am I just going to
    be outnumbered by people who also have a degree?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Jacob wrote:
    > On 6 Mar 2005 21:14:08 -0800, a posting issued forth from Tom...
    > > Is a RHCE enough to get a good job? I don't have a degree and now

    is
    > > not a good time to go back to school. I'm a long time computer

    nerd
    > > and Linux fan, but I've never worked on Linux *at a job*.
    > >
    > > I feel I could study and pass the RHCE, but will it be enough or

    will I
    > > be waisting my time?
    > >

    > Nothing is "enough"... It will certainly help show you are

    well-versed
    > in [Red Hat] Linux. It will make you more a valuable candidate, but
    > don't count on it getting you a job. If you think you can obtain one,
    > you should though. The rigor Red Hat tried to apply to the process

    does
    > make this cert more valuable than a lot of others.
    >
    > GL
    > --
    > Jacob
    > mailto:`echo wnpbo@urvqre.ubzryvahk.arg | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]`

  4. Re: RCHE enough?

    Is is enough? No way!! You know us geeks can never get enough. But it
    will help land you a job somewhere...

    ~crypix

+ Reply to Thread