Adding packages from CD after initial install - Redhat

This is a discussion on Adding packages from CD after initial install - Redhat ; Hello I skipped several packages when I first installed from CD as I did not know what they were for. Now that I know I need them, how do I install just these additional packages from the CD without reinstalling ...

  1. Adding packages from CD after initial install

    Hello

    I skipped several packages when I first installed from CD as I did not
    know what they were for. Now that I know I need them, how do I install
    just these additional packages from the CD without reinstalling Red Hat
    all over? Is there a command or a menu item to do this? Preferably
    seeing the same packages selection screen when I first installed?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Adding packages from CD after initial install

    "Amber2005" wrote in message
    news:1110091359.484474.180500@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello
    >
    > I skipped several packages when I first installed from CD as I did not
    > know what they were for. Now that I know I need them, how do I install
    > just these additional packages from the CD without reinstalling Red Hat
    > all over? Is there a command or a menu item to do this? Preferably
    > seeing the same packages selection screen when I first installed?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    On the Redhat Menu, select System Settings, then Add/Remove Applications.
    This answer is based on RH9 with default desktop.

  3. Re: Adding packages from CD after initial install

    Thanks Mark, but my fault, I meant for Red Hat 2.1. I did not find the
    Add/Remove in my GNOME screen anywhere. How is this done in 2.1?

  4. Re: Adding packages from CD after initial install

    hmm.. put the cd in the drive. From the terminal, mount the cd in the
    cdrom. Find the package you want and rpm -ivh it... my .02
    ~crypix

+ Reply to Thread