How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3 - Redhat ; I have a RL9 box now and will be chaning hosting providers and going to a RHEL3 box. What do I need to do to move all the user and group accounts to the new box? I have searched the ...

  1. How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3

    I have a RL9 box now and will be chaning hosting providers and going to
    a RHEL3 box. What do I need to do to move all the user and group
    accounts to the new box?

    I have searched the groups but I cannot find a definate answer

    Thanks!

  2. Re: How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3

    smgorham@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have a RL9 box now and will be chaning hosting providers and going
    > to a RHEL3 box. What do I need to do to move all the user and group
    > accounts to the new box?

    ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/

    Review the script; migrate_users.sh

    > I have searched the groups but I cannot find a definate answer
    >
    > Thanks!

    Your Welcome!

  3. Re: How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3

    Lenard wrote:

    > ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/
    >
    > Review the script; migrate_users.sh

    I have checked that. What do I do to import the users and their
    passwords back into the new box?

  4. Re: How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3

    smgorham@gmail.com wrote:

    > Lenard wrote:
    >>
    >> ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/
    >>
    >> Review the script; migrate_users.sh

    > I have checked that. What do I do to import the users and their
    > passwords back into the new box?

    Quoting from the script file (the end of the file);

    echo ""
    echo "You are done on this end. (Yay!)"
    echo ""
    echo "When you have extracted the archive on the target machine there
    is"
    echo "still some work to be done. You will need to add the user
    information"
    echo "found in the /etc/*.sav files to the end of the new system's"
    echo "/etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files. You must do this
    while"
    echo "making sure there is no overlap of uid or gid numbers. This will"
    echo "usually happen for uid=500 if you created a user account on the
    new"
    echo "machine during install. Just be aware of it, it's not hard to
    fix."

  5. Re: How to migrate from RL9 to RHEL 3

    I did that also, but the passwords are not saved

+ Reply to Thread