usb external hard disk - Redhat

This is a discussion on usb external hard disk - Redhat ; Hello, I'm trying to get a usb external hard disk going on an fc3 box. The error i'm getting is below, when i try to fdisk the disk i'm getting errors that /dev/sda can not be accessed. The errors look ...

  1. usb external hard disk

    Hello,
    I'm trying to get a usb external hard disk going on an fc3 box. The
    error i'm getting is below, when i try to fdisk the disk i'm getting errors
    that /dev/sda can not be accessed. The errors look scsi related, but i am
    not certain how to debug them. Any assistance appreciated.
    thanks.
    Dave.

    SCSI subsystem initialized
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    usb-storage: device found at 2
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    Vendor: l l l l Model: l l l l l l l l Rev: l l
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda:SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
    Info fld=0x202020 (nonstd), Current sda: sense key Medium Error
    ASC=11 ASCQ=20
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
    SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
    Info fld=0x202020 (nonstd), Current sda: sense key Medium Error
    ASC=11 ASCQ=20
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
    SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
    Info fld=0x202020 (nonstd), Current sda: sense key Medium Error
    ASC=11 ASCQ=20
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
    unable to read partition table
    Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
[...]

  2. Re: usb external hard disk

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 at 9:04pm, dave scribbled:

    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to get a usb external hard disk going on an fc3 box. The
    > error i'm getting is below, when i try to fdisk the disk i'm getting errors

    What brand and model of USB hard drive??

    Neall

  3. Re: usb external hard disk

    Hello,
    It's a standard laptop 2.5 in hd in a drive enclossure. The enclossure
    is made by CP Technologies.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

  4. Re: usb external hard disk

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 at 9:04pm, dave scribbled:

    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to get a usb external hard disk going on an fc3 box. The
    > error i'm getting is below, when i try to fdisk the disk i'm getting errors
    > that /dev/sda can not be accessed. The errors look scsi related, but i am
    > not certain how to debug them. Any assistance appreciated.

    Dave,

    It looks like it may an incompatibility between your CP Technologies
    enclosure and the usb-storage kernel module. If you do a "modinfo
    usb-storage" as root, it'll give you the name and email of the usb-storage
    author. I hear he's really interested in resolving compatibility issues.
    You may want to contact him directly for advice. Neall

+ Reply to Thread