Internet connection pooling??? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Internet connection pooling??? - Redhat ; Hi all, Just a quick question to answer a question "Is internet connection pooling possible??" Myself and my next door neighbor both have broadband for downloading, playing games etc and I was wondering if I could set up a linux ...

  1. Internet connection pooling???

    Hi all,

    Just a quick question to answer a question "Is internet connection
    pooling possible??"

    Myself and my next door neighbor both have broadband for
    downloading, playing games etc and I was wondering if I could set up a
    linux box with 2 broadband modems and pool the connections in much the
    same way that printers are pooled. This therefore "should" combine the
    speeds of the connections to allow faster speeds, and if one
    connection fails, the other should handle the traffic.

    The theory seems sound but I can't find much on this subject in
    google, can anyone tell me if a) it is possible and b) if it is
    possible does anyone know where I can find some resources/literature??

    Many Thanks

  2. Re: Internet connection pooling???

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:18:27 -0800, CoX thoughtfully wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just a quick question to answer a question "Is internet connection
    > pooling possible??"
    >
    > Myself and my next door neighbor both have broadband for
    > downloading, playing games etc and I was wondering if I could set up a
    > linux box with 2 broadband modems and pool the connections in much the
    > same way that printers are pooled. This therefore "should" combine the
    > speeds of the connections to allow faster speeds, and if one connection
    > fails, the other should handle the traffic.
    >
    > The theory seems sound but I can't find much on this subject in
    > google, can anyone tell me if a) it is possible and b) if it is possible
    > does anyone know where I can find some resources/literature??
    >
    > Many Thanks

    Absolutely, possible. Assuming wireless connectors for the broadbands
    you'd set up the Linux box as a router that combines the
    bandwidths then you'd need the ISP to combine the two accounts. You would
    modify the Linux box routing table to route traffic destined for modem A
    to modem B if modem B fails and vice versus for modem B. Not a problem.

    If you have 2 wireless routers the fail safe would work easier by adding
    your network to your neighbors network and vice versus.

    some old articles (might be distro specific):
    http://www.wfu.edu/~mudayja/router.html
    http://martybugs.net/wireless/router.cgi
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ticle&artid=23

  3. Re: Internet connection pooling???