Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id - Redhat

This is a discussion on Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id - Redhat ; Running RH 9 2.4.20-31.9 I can Telnet (via Puty) or FTP (Smart FTP) into the above server from Windows using any user login Except root. I receive the following message with root login and password: "Login incorrect" How can I ...

  1. Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id

    Running RH 9 2.4.20-31.9

    I can Telnet (via Puty) or FTP (Smart FTP) into the above server from
    Windows using any user login Except root. I receive the following message
    with root login and password: "Login incorrect"

    How can I fix this to allow root login remotely.

  2. Re: Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id

    "Mark A" wrote in message
    > Running RH 9 2.4.20-31.9
    >
    > I can Telnet (via Puty) or FTP (Smart FTP) into the above server from
    > Windows using any user login Except root. I receive the following message
    > with root login and password: "Login incorrect"
    >
    > How can I fix this to allow root login remotely.

    OK, I figured out that I should use SSH instead of Telnet, and that works
    with root.

    But sometimes I do need to FTP with root.

  3. Re: Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id

    > > Running RH 9 2.4.20-31.9
    > >
    > > I can Telnet (via Puty) or FTP (Smart FTP) into the above server from
    > > Windows using any user login Except root. I receive the following

    message
    > > with root login and password: "Login incorrect"
    > >
    > > How can I fix this to allow root login remotely.
    > >

    > OK, I figured out that I should use SSH instead of Telnet, and that works
    > with root.
    >
    > But sometimes I do need to FTP with root.

    I deleted root from /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and rebooted machine, but still
    cannot ftp as root (can ftp with other id's).

  4. Re: Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id

    Mark A wrote:
    >>>Running RH 9 2.4.20-31.9
    >>>
    >>>I can Telnet (via Puty) or FTP (Smart FTP) into the above server from
    >>>Windows using any user login Except root. I receive the following

    > message
    >
    >>>with root login and password: "Login incorrect"
    >>>
    >>>How can I fix this to allow root login remotely.
    >>>

    >>OK, I figured out that I should use SSH instead of Telnet, and that works
    >>with root.
    >>
    >>But sometimes I do need to FTP with root.
    >>

    > I deleted root from /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and rebooted machine, but still
    > cannot ftp as root (can ftp with other id's).

    Try sftp - check your firewll settings first !!

  5. Re: Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id

    > > I deleted root from /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and rebooted machine, but still
    > > cannot ftp as root (can ftp with other id's).
    > >

    > Try sftp - check your firewll settings first !!

    I can ftp using any valid user id except root.

  6. Re: Cannot Telnet or FTP with root id

    "Mark A" wrote in message
    > > > I deleted root from /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and rebooted machine, but

    still
    > > > cannot ftp as root (can ftp with other id's).
    > > >

    > > Try sftp - check your firewll settings first !!

    > I can ftp using any valid user id except root.

    I deleted root from /etc/vsftpd.user_list (in addition to
    /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers) and I can now FTP with root id.

+ Reply to Thread