Fedora core 3 frozen - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora core 3 frozen - Redhat ; Hi, I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card. I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted ...

  1. Fedora core 3 frozen

    Hi,
    I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD
    sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card.
    I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface
    sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted even from mouse and
    keyboard. The mouse cursor is not frozen, but no click is accepted.
    Connecting to the machine via ssh is always possible.
    Where is the problem?

  2. Re: Fedora core 3 frozen

    mappopo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD
    > sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card.
    > I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface
    > sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted even from mouse and
    > keyboard. The mouse cursor is not frozen, but no click is accepted.
    > Connecting to the machine via ssh is always possible.
    > Where is the problem?

    I have exactly the same problem and have just asked the question on
    c.o.l.hardware..I have tried many distros and all exhibit the same
    results apart from Libranet which seems to run forever..I have even
    tried moving the xconf and kernel files from Libranet to other Deb based
    systems but they still crash...I find all is ok unless you make the gui
    work too fast..ie deleting mails too quickly or paging through files
    with a filemanager.......I must say I thought the complete system had
    locked up as the kde clok stops as does gkrellm...I have run the
    Mersenne prime program for days without any problems so must be related
    to the nvidea card I think ??

  3. Re: Fedora core 3 frozen

    mappopo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD
    > sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card.
    > I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface
    > sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted even from mouse and
    > keyboard. The mouse cursor is not frozen, but no click is accepted.
    > Connecting to the machine via ssh is always possible.
    > Where is the problem?

    Ssh to the machine and run top, to see what process takes "all" the CPU power.
    You can always kill the X server from the ssh connection, to get the system
    back, as this will kill the application and/or the driver causing the problem.

    If it's the driver that causes the problem, then try the other driver (nvidia
    driver will need you to get the source for your current kernel, with the
    redhat patches).

    Another thing that can cause this is the default desktop environment in
    Fedora, Gnome2, you could try to use KDE or any other none gtk2 based dekstop
    and see if you can reproduce the problem.

    //Aho

  4. Re: Fedora core 3 frozen

    "mappopo" wrote in message
    news:2dc9f141.0503010321.5c6588a7@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    > I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD
    > sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card.
    > I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface
    > sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted even from mouse and
    > keyboard. The mouse cursor is not frozen, but no click is accepted.
    > Connecting to the machine via ssh is always possible.
    > Where is the problem?

    What video driver are you using ? , maybe there is a conflict with the
    default video drivers for your GF card.

    Try downloading the latest video driver ,1.0-6629 , from the nVidia web
    site

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  5. Re: Fedora core 3 frozen

    mappopo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD
    > sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card.
    > I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface
    > sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted even from mouse and
    > keyboard. The mouse cursor is not frozen, but no click is accepted.
    > Connecting to the machine via ssh is always possible.
    > Where is the problem?

    Try altering the screen res to 1280*1024 and see if it helps...

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  6. Re: Fedora core 3 frozen

    mappopo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I installed fedora 3 core on an pentium 4 3.0 machine, wit 1Gb Ram, HD
    > sata 160gb maxtor, nvidia geforce video card.
    > I installed every unpdate with "up2date", but the graphical interface
    > sometimes get frozen, no input is accepted even from mouse and
    > keyboard. The mouse cursor is not frozen, but no click is accepted.
    > Connecting to the machine via ssh is always possible.
    > Where is the problem?

    Try altering the screen res to 1280*1024 and see if it helps...

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager
    Using Fedora Linux