gnome 2.8 panel runs, but desktop doesn't - Redhat

This is a discussion on gnome 2.8 panel runs, but desktop doesn't - Redhat ; Hello. I'd sure appreciate hearing how to restart the gnome desktop. Let me explain a bit further. I was running xine (AFAIR) when I started getting pop-ups about gnome applications crashing. Most of these I closed, but they just kept ...

  1. gnome 2.8 panel runs, but desktop doesn't

    Hello. I'd sure appreciate hearing how to restart the gnome desktop.

    Let me explain a bit further.
    I was running xine (AFAIR) when I started getting pop-ups about gnome
    applications crashing. Most of these I closed, but they just kept
    coming, so for one of them I selected restart application (must have
    been the gnome panel?). My desktop background and icons were gone.
    When I logged out, the configuration stuck and now when I login all I
    get is the gnome panel (that lets me run apps, etc), but no desktop
    background or icons.

    So, I'd sure appreciate hearing suggestions about how to fix this one by
    starting just the gnome desktop manager (or whatever).

    Thanks.

    - Mike

  2. Re: gnome 2.8 panel runs, but desktop doesn't

    So, here's how I did it:
    - from the fedora login screen choose the failsafe terminal login method
    - log via my user id using the failsafe terminal
    - start the gnome desktop via: gnome-session --failsafe
    [This restored the desktop background and icons.]
    - modify to not automatically save session via:
    red fedora (main menu) icon/preferences/more preferences/sessions
    (uncheck: automatically save changes to session)
    - save the current (failsafe) session via:
    1) red fedora (main menu) icon/preferences/more preferences/sessions
    2) open a terminal and: gnome-session-save
    [I did both, not sure which did the trick.]
    - logged out of gnome and then the failsafe terminal
    [I was hoping this fixed things, but, wait, there's more ...]
    - logged in again using the system default gnome desktop
    [but still no luck.]
    - changed the failsafe to default via:
    1) red fedora (main menu) icon/preferences/more preferences/sessions
    2) Edit the Default session (change the name to DefaultBroken)
    3) Edit the failsafe session (change the name to Default)
    4) Close the session preference app
    5) logout
    - log back in (using gnome desktop), background and icons appear!!!!

    Hope this helps someone else.

    - Mike

    Michael Ward wrote:
    > Hello. I'd sure appreciate hearing how to restart the gnome desktop.
    >
    > Let me explain a bit further.
    > I was running xine (AFAIR) when I started getting pop-ups about gnome
    > applications crashing. Most of these I closed, but they just kept
    > coming, so for one of them I selected restart application (must have
    > been the gnome panel?). My desktop background and icons were gone. When
    > I logged out, the configuration stuck and now when I login all I get is
    > the gnome panel (that lets me run apps, etc), but no desktop background
    > or icons.
    >
    > So, I'd sure appreciate hearing suggestions about how to fix this one by
    > starting just the gnome desktop manager (or whatever).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > - Mike

+ Reply to Thread