Hello. I'd sure appreciate hearing how to restart the gnome desktop.

Let me explain a bit further.
I was running xine (AFAIR) when I started getting pop-ups about gnome
applications crashing. Most of these I closed, but they just kept
coming, so for one of them I selected restart application (must have
been the gnome panel?). My desktop background and icons were gone.
When I logged out, the configuration stuck and now when I login all I
get is the gnome panel (that lets me run apps, etc), but no desktop
background or icons.

So, I'd sure appreciate hearing suggestions about how to fix this one by
starting just the gnome desktop manager (or whatever).

Thanks.

- Mike