ksh profile - Redhat

This is a discussion on ksh profile - Redhat ; newbie - trying to setup ksh interactive default environment for a user. I have a .kshrc in the $HOME directory but it is not being used? I also tried a .profile in $HOME. What do I need to do to ...

  1. ksh profile

    newbie - trying to setup ksh interactive default environment for a user.
    I have a .kshrc in the $HOME directory but it is not being used?
    I also tried a .profile in $HOME.
    What do I need to do to get my /bin/ksh customized for my aliases, etc.

    Thanks,
    Bill

  2. Re: ksh profile

    In article , Bill Jones wrote:
    > newbie - trying to setup ksh interactive default environment for a user.
    > I have a .kshrc in the $HOME directory but it is not being used?
    > I also tried a .profile in $HOME.
    > What do I need to do to get my /bin/ksh customized for my aliases, etc.

    Assuming you are using ksh as your login shell (have you checked? Linux default
    shell is usually bash), you need to:

    a) create a .profile that is readable by you in your home directory.
    b) add line like below to .profile:

    export ENV=$HOME/.kshrc

    c) create a .kshrc file
    d) logout
    e) login

    That should do the trick...

    Kevin

  3. Re: ksh profile

    wrote:
    > > newbie - trying to setup ksh interactive default environment for a user.
    > > I have a .kshrc in the $HOME directory but it is not being used?
    > > I also tried a .profile in $HOME.
    > > What do I need to do to get my /bin/ksh customized for my aliases, etc.

    > Assuming you are using ksh as your login shell (have you checked? Linux

    default
    > shell is usually bash), you need to:
    >
    > a) create a .profile that is readable by you in your home directory.
    > b) add line like below to .profile:
    >
    > export ENV=$HOME/.kshrc
    >
    > c) create a .kshrc file
    > d) logout
    > e) login
    >
    > That should do the trick...
    >
    > Kevin

    Yep, that certainly did the trick.
    I had created the files but had not logged out and back in.
    I kept exiting from the terminal session and opening a new one thinking
    each time I opened a terminal window it re-read the profile.
    Thank you Kevin.

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread