Redhat 9.0 and DELL 1850 ATI 7000 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat 9.0 and DELL 1850 ATI 7000 - Redhat ; Hi, I have a problem with an ATI 7000 card with 16MB that comes integrated with the DELL 1850. (I suspect I'll be facing the same issue with a DELL 2850 soon also) I run /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86 and it actually flashes ...

  1. Redhat 9.0 and DELL 1850 ATI 7000

    Hi,

    I have a problem with an ATI 7000 card with 16MB that comes integrated with the DELL 1850.
    (I suspect I'll be facing the same issue with a DELL 2850 soon also)

    I run /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86 and it actually flashes an X screen up with a crosshair
    pointer, then I lose monitor sync. The log file is not helpful in this regard. I have tried
    defining resolutions and vsync etc. off the command line without success. I would really like X to
    run locally just for convenience (or at least be able to start it up on demand).

    The monitor is a Philips 107E6 which doesn't seem to enjoy any direct support. How can I craft a
    working XF86Config file to work with this. Is the problem a card problem or a monitor problem? I
    think I recall seeing this when the monitor is not properly defined, can anyone shed any light on
    this?

    On another note, I was able to get Redhat 9.0 working with the MegaRAID2 drivers supplied by LSI to
    support the onboard Perc4e/si. If anyone wants to know, I can give them some help to do this.

    --

    ..:~*^*~:.:~*^*~:..:~*^*~:.:~*^*~:.:~*^*~:.

    "We're in the pipe... 5 by 5..."

    (Perth, WA)
    http://www.iinet.net.au/~shades2

    PGP Public Keys:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~shades2/pgpkey.html

    Making life REAL hard for spammers with:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~shades2/spamtrap.html

  2. Re: Redhat 9.0 and DELL 1850 ATI 7000

    In article ,
    barneyc@blackmesa.research.facility....iiinet/.net.au says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem with an ATI 7000 card with 16MB that comes integrated with the DELL 1850.
    > (I suspect I'll be facing the same issue with a DELL 2850 soon also)
    >
    > I run /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86 and it actually flashes an X screen up with a crosshair
    > pointer, then I lose monitor sync. The log file is not helpful in this regard. I have tried
    > defining resolutions and vsync etc. off the command line without success. I would really like X to
    > run locally just for convenience (or at least be able to start it up on demand).
    >
    > The monitor is a Philips 107E6 which doesn't seem to enjoy any direct support. How can I craft a
    > working XF86Config file to work with this. Is the problem a card problem or a monitor problem? I
    > think I recall seeing this when the monitor is not properly defined, can anyone shed any light on
    > this?
    >
    > On another note, I was able to get Redhat 9.0 working with the MegaRAID2 drivers supplied by LSI to
    > support the onboard Perc4e/si. If anyone wants to know, I can give them some help to do this.

    As an addendum to this, I've located the information on installing the Intel 1000Mbit interface
    driver. (The 1850 has two of these) and the LSI Megaraid2 source for introduction into the kernel
    source tree (actually comes in an .rpm which is nice). Tested with a 2.4.X kernel I was able to
    compile a custom kernel and get the 1850 to boot with the new kernel and operate with these
    devices. So, in short, it can be done.

    I still haven't solved the annoying video driver issue. I tried the generic "vga" driver, but this
    was to no avail.

    As Redhat 9.0 has reached EOL as of 2004 and uses the 2.4.X Kernel, the upgrade to a newer 2.6.X
    kernel is not a trivial exercise. I have bitten the bullet and decided we will go with Redhat ES,
    which DELL approves for use on the 1850, and as the two machines are production machines I don't
    have the luxury of time to tinker with the kernel, or fix broken legacy bits. I need things to
    work, and work now basically.

    --

    "We're in the pipe... 5 by 5..."

    (Perth, WA)
    http://www.iinet.net.au/~shades2

    PGP Public Keys:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~shades2/pgpkey.html

    Making life REAL hard for spammers with:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~shades2/spamtrap.html

+ Reply to Thread