simple mount question - Redhat

This is a discussion on simple mount question - Redhat ; i just installed FC3 under virtual PC 5.1 and am having boot problems (something or other about waiting 5 minutes). researching it suggested i look at the inittab file. so i booted a knoppix image but im actually having problems ...

  1. simple mount question

    i just installed FC3 under virtual PC 5.1 and am having boot problems
    (something or other about waiting 5 minutes). researching it
    suggested i look at the inittab file. so i booted a knoppix image but im
    actually having problems just figuring out how to
    mount the appropriate file system to get to the /etc/inittab file

    i figured out how to mount /dev/hda1 but that appears just to contain the
    boot loader. when i go to mount
    hda2, it asks me about a file system, and im not quite sure about the
    correct syntax. sorry for the mega newbie question :<

  2. Re: simple mount question

    In article , Rob wrote:
    > i just installed FC3 under virtual PC 5.1 and am having boot problems
    > (something or other about waiting 5 minutes). researching it
    > suggested i look at the inittab file. so i booted a knoppix image but im
    > actually having problems just figuring out how to
    > mount the appropriate file system to get to the /etc/inittab file
    >
    > i figured out how to mount /dev/hda1 but that appears just to contain the
    > boot loader. when i go to mount
    > hda2, it asks me about a file system, and im not quite sure about the
    > correct syntax. sorry for the mega newbie question :<

    If you need to edit /etc/inittab, you'll need to mount "/". Assuming "/" is on
    /dev/hda2, you would do:

    # mount /dev/hda2 /

    What you mounted is probably /boot...

    Kevin

  3. Re: simple mount question

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:09:34 GMT, Kevin Collins
    wrote:

    >In article , Rob wrote:
    >> i just installed FC3 under virtual PC 5.1 and am having boot problems
    >> (something or other about waiting 5 minutes). researching it
    >> suggested i look at the inittab file. so i booted a knoppix image but im
    >> actually having problems just figuring out how to
    >> mount the appropriate file system to get to the /etc/inittab file
    >>
    >> i figured out how to mount /dev/hda1 but that appears just to contain the
    >> boot loader. when i go to mount
    >> hda2, it asks me about a file system, and im not quite sure about the
    >> correct syntax. sorry for the mega newbie question :<

    >If you need to edit /etc/inittab, you'll need to mount "/". Assuming "/" is on
    >/dev/hda2, you would do:
    >
    ># mount /dev/hda2 /
    >
    >What you mounted is probably /boot...
    >
    >Kevin

    hda2 could be your swap partition so you could try hda3
    --
    Benway
    Remove the SPAM

  4. Re: simple mount question

    :
    : i figured out how to mount /dev/hda1 but that appears just to contain the
    : boot loader. when i go to mount
    : hda2, it asks me about a file system, and im not quite sure about the
    : correct syntax. sorry for the mega newbie question :<
    :
    :
    First, issue the following command to view the partitions in Linux:

    fdisk -l

    If one of the partitions is Windows, then you'll need to create a mount point
    first before mounting that partition to see the contents. This command will
    also list any thumb drives or external harddrives plugged into USB ports as
    well, usually, as sdaX, where X is a number. Again, create the mount point in
    the /mnt directory before issuing the mount command and accessing the files.

    Regards

    Ryder

  5. Re: simple mount question

    "~redyrmann~" <~redyrmann~@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:%maVd.3611$wy3.2395@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    :
    : "Rob" wrote in message news:HlNSd.42236$W16.1202@trndny07...
    : : i just installed FC3 under virtual PC 5.1 and am having boot problems
    : : (something or other about waiting 5 minutes). researching it
    : : suggested i look at the inittab file. so i booted a knoppix image but im
    : : actually having problems just figuring out how to
    : : mount the appropriate file system to get to the /etc/inittab file
    : :
    : : i figured out how to mount /dev/hda1 but that appears just to contain the
    : : boot loader. when i go to mount
    : : hda2, it asks me about a file system, and im not quite sure about the
    : : correct syntax. sorry for the mega newbie question :<
    : :
    : :
    : First, issue the following command to view the partitions in Linux:
    :
    : fdisk -l

    Oops....command is:

    fdisk -l /dev/hda
    :
    : If one of the partitions is Windows, then you'll need to create a mount point
    : first before mounting that partition to see the contents. This command will
    : also list any thumb drives or external harddrives plugged into USB ports as
    : well, usually, as sdaX, where X is a number. Again, create the mount point in
    : the /mnt directory before issuing the mount command and accessing the files.
    :
    : Regards
    :
    : Ryder