mozilla-firefox-thunderbird install on fedora core 3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on mozilla-firefox-thunderbird install on fedora core 3 - Redhat ; The fedora core 3 installation of firefox and the mozills suite and thunderbird simply does not work. Fedora comes with firefox1.0 preinstalled and that works - but manually installing the suite and/or thunderbird does not. Yes, I also installed linc-1.0.3-3.1.i386.rpm ...

  1. mozilla-firefox-thunderbird install on fedora core 3

    The fedora core 3 installation of firefox and the mozills suite and
    thunderbird simply does not work. Fedora comes with firefox1.0
    preinstalled and that works - but manually installing the suite and/or
    thunderbird does not. Yes, I also installed linc-1.0.3-3.1.i386.rpm
    per the known issues FAQ.

    The mozilla suite installer installed mozilla in /usr/local/mozilla.
    Running mozilla in that location does nothing. My xterm just holds on
    to my prompt and never returns it. There are no error messages. No
    windows popup. Nothing.

    There is no thunderbird installer - just a .gz to extract wherever I
    want. So extracted the thunderbird directory (from the gz file) into
    /usr/local/thunderbird. The executable that's in there gives me this
    when I run it:

    [shanec@localhost mozilla]$ /usr/local/thunderbird/thunderbird
    /usr/local/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared
    libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
    directory
    [shanec@localhost mozilla]$

    How on earth are these things to be installed on fedora core 3? I've
    looked far and wide and not seen any documentation, message board, or
    newsgroup info on this. And I'm quite surprised at that. I thought
    this thing was popular.

  2. Re: mozilla-firefox-thunderbird install on fedora core 3

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:29:39 -0600, nope wrote:

    > There is no thunderbird installer - just a .gz to extract wherever I
    > want.

    Thunderbird was preinstalled when I loaded FC3, it works fine.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  3. Re: mozilla-firefox-thunderbird install on fedora core 3

    nope wrote:

    > The fedora core 3 installation of firefox and the mozills suite and
    > thunderbird simply does not work.

    firefox-1.0-8.i386.rpm
    jre-1.5.0_01-fcs.i586.rpm
    mozilla-1.7.5-3.i386.rpm
    mozilla-mail-1.7.5-3.i386.rpm
    mozilla-nspr-1.7.5-3.i386.rpm
    mozilla-nss-1.7.5-3.i386.rpm
    thunderbird-1.0-2.i386.rpm

    All work just fine, you can find the firefox, mozilla and thunderbird
    rpms at;

    ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub...6/Fedora/RPMS/

    Just follow the directions and links for the jre rpm found here;

    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java