where can i find header files for fc3? - Redhat

This is a discussion on where can i find header files for fc3? - Redhat ; i used the redhat tool to update FC3 to the latest kernel which broke my cisco vpn client. i need to recompile it and cant find the kernel header RPM for 2.6.10-1.766 apt-get and synaptic are completely broken too. yum ...

  1. where can i find header files for fc3?

    i used the redhat tool to update FC3 to the latest kernel which broke my
    cisco vpn client. i need to recompile it and cant find the
    kernel header RPM for 2.6.10-1.766

    apt-get and synaptic are completely broken too. yum is still working but
    whenever i try to install any apt components, im told newer versions are
    already installed. am i best off just completely removing all apt rpms and
    reinstalling?

  2. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    Rob wrote:

    > i used the redhat tool to update FC3 to the latest kernel which broke
    > my
    > cisco vpn client. i need to recompile it and cant find the
    > kernel header RPM for 2.6.10-1.766
    >
    > apt-get and synaptic are completely broken too. yum is still working
    > but whenever i try to install any apt components, im told newer
    > versions are
    > already installed. am i best off just completely removing all apt
    > rpms and reinstalling?

    Please review the RELEASE-NOTES on the first CD or on the DVD or here;

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...-NOTES-en.html

    Basically you need the kernel- src.rpm;

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...66_FC3.src.rpm

    Try using the apt RPM from; http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/

    A little trick for you (assuming you have good Internet access);

    rpm -Uvh
    http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrp...c3.fr.i386.rpm

    The above is one long line with a space between '-Fvh' and the rest of
    the command. You might want to use the '--force' switch if you have a
    problem, you only need to update/replace the apt package, the synaptic
    package should be OK.

  3. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    Lenard wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> i used the redhat tool to update FC3 to the latest kernel which broke
    >> my
    >> cisco vpn client. i need to recompile it and cant find the
    >> kernel header RPM for 2.6.10-1.766
    >>
    >> apt-get and synaptic are completely broken too. yum is still working
    >> but whenever i try to install any apt components, im told newer
    >> versions are
    >> already installed. am i best off just completely removing all apt
    >> rpms and reinstalling?

    > Please review the RELEASE-NOTES on the first CD or on the DVD or here;
    >
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...-NOTES-en.html
    >
    > Basically you need the kernel- src.rpm;
    >
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...66_FC3.src.rpm
    >
    > Try using the apt RPM from; http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/
    >
    > A little trick for you (assuming you have good Internet access);
    >
    > rpm -Uvh
    > http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrp...c3.fr.i386.rpm
    >
    > The above is one long line with a space between '-Fvh' and the rest of
    > the command. You might want to use the '--force' switch if you have a
    > problem, you only need to update/replace the apt package, the synaptic
    > package should be OK.

    Great! Thanks for the pointers. This is still fairly new stuff to me.

  4. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    OK, everything should be good now as far as kernel header files. I used the
    same build procedure that I used on the old kernel which previously worked
    fine. What I'm encountering now is beyond me to troubleshoot. Perhaps
    someone has an idea what the errors here tell me I should be looking at?

    Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.6.00 (0045) Linux Installer
    Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    By installing this product you agree that you have read the
    license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with
    its terms.

    Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

    Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]

    In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the
    kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

    Directory containing linux kernel source code
    [/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/build]

    * Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
    * Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/CiscoVPN".
    * The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.
    * Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/build" will be used
    to build the module.

    Is the above correct [y]

    Making module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/build SUBDIRS=/home/rob/vpnclient
    modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/build'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST
    Warning: could not find /home/rob/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd
    for /home/rob/vpnclient/libdriver.so
    *** Warning: "put_user_size" [/home/rob/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko]
    undefined!
    *** Warning: "get_user_size" [/home/rob/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko]
    undefined!
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/build'
    Copying module to directory "/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.766_FC3/CiscoVPN".
    Already have group 'bin'

    Creating start/stop script "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init".
    /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init
    Enabling start/stop script for run level 3,4 and 5.

    Installing license.txt (VPN Client license) in "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/":

    Installing bundled user profiles in "/etc/opt/cisco-
    vpnclient/Profiles/":
    * Replaced Profiles: sample

    Copying binaries to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin".
    Adding symlinks to "/usr/local/bin".
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cisco_cert_mgr
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/ipseclog
    Copying setuid binaries to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin".
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cvpnd
    Copying libraries to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/lib".
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/lib/libvpnapi.so
    Copying header files to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/include".
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/include/vpnapi.h

    Setting permissions.
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cvpnd (setuid root)
    /opt/cisco-vpnclient (group bin readable)
    /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient (permissions not changed)
    * You may wish to change these permissions to restrict access to root.
    * You must run "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start" before using the
    client.
    * This script will be run AUTOMATICALLY every time you reboot your
    computer.
    [root@fedora vpnclient]#

  5. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    Where can one get a Cisco VPN client? I need to try this myself.

  6. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    Rob wrote:

    > OK, everything should be good now as far as kernel header files. I
    > used the same build procedure that I used on the old kernel which
    > previously worked
    > fine. What I'm encountering now is beyond me to troubleshoot.
    > Perhaps someone has an idea what the errors here tell me I should be
    > looking at?

    Follow this thread;

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/270805

  7. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    nope wrote:
    > Where can one get a Cisco VPN client? I need to try this myself.

    its available for download from cisco but you have to sign up
    first and jump through hoops to get authorized for access. i just
    had my boss log in and download it for me.

  8. Re: where can i find header files for fc3?

    Lenard wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> OK, everything should be good now as far as kernel header files. I
    >> used the same build procedure that I used on the old kernel which
    >> previously worked
    >> fine. What I'm encountering now is beyond me to troubleshoot.
    >> Perhaps someone has an idea what the errors here tell me I should be
    >> looking at?

    > Follow this thread;
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/270805

    thanks, that did the trick and it's another great resource to bookmark.

+ Reply to Thread