Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot - Redhat ; I've got a WinXP system with a shiny new secondary HD just for Fedora Core 3. I downladed the 4 iso images from here http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/3/i386/iso/ Step 1: burn iso images to CDs....check Step 2: insert disk 1 into cdrom....check Step ...

  1. Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot

    I've got a WinXP system with a shiny new secondary HD just for Fedora
    Core 3. I downladed the 4 iso images from here

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/3/i386/iso/

    Step 1: burn iso images to CDs....check
    Step 2: insert disk 1 into cdrom....check
    Step 3: make BIOS boot from cdrom before hd....check
    Step 4: reboot.....check

    ----> Win XP boots

    Step 5: make BIOS boot from cdrom and nothing else....check
    Step 6: reboot

    ----> BIOS says no OS is available and instructs me to insert a boot
    disk

    arrgghhh

    Seems like this disk 1 isn't bootable. It is supposed to be bootable.
    Are there any tricks to this? I did nothing special in the burn
    process with roxio. I just selected "burn cd from image" and selected
    the disk 1 iso image.

  2. Re: Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot

    OK, info about my system

    Micron Mellenia
    Athlon 1600
    1GB RAM
    CD drive is a Liteon cd-rom ltn5265 - I think this is what came with
    the machine
    GeForce3 Ti 200

  3. Re: Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot

    "nope" wrote in message
    > I've got a WinXP system with a shiny new secondary HD just for Fedora
    > Core 3. I downladed the 4 iso images from here
    >
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/3/i386/iso/
    >
    > Step 1: burn iso images to CDs....check
    > Step 2: insert disk 1 into cdrom....check
    > Step 3: make BIOS boot from cdrom before hd....check
    > Step 4: reboot.....check
    >
    > ----> Win XP boots
    >
    > Step 5: make BIOS boot from cdrom and nothing else....check
    > Step 6: reboot
    >
    > ----> BIOS says no OS is available and instructs me to insert a boot
    > disk
    >
    > arrgghhh
    >
    > Seems like this disk 1 isn't bootable. It is supposed to be bootable.
    > Are there any tricks to this? I did nothing special in the burn
    > process with roxio. I just selected "burn cd from image" and selected
    > the disk 1 iso image.

    Burn it again at a slower speed.

    Randy

  4. Re: Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot

    nope wrote:
    > I've got a WinXP system with a shiny new secondary HD just for Fedora
    > Core 3. I downladed the 4 iso images from here
    >
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/3/i386/iso/

    You forgot Step 0: check downloaded iso images with md5sum. Get
    md5summer for Windows from: http://www.md5summer.org/

    > Step 1: burn iso images to CDs....check
    > Step 2: insert disk 1 into cdrom....check
    > Step 3: make BIOS boot from cdrom before hd....check
    > Step 4: reboot.....check
    >
    > ----> Win XP boots

    What do you see on the CD when you view its contents under WinXP?

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  5. Re: Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot

    nope wrote:
    > I've got a WinXP system with a shiny new secondary HD just for Fedora
    > Core 3. I downladed the 4 iso images from here
    >
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/3/i386/iso/
    >
    > Step 1: burn iso images to CDs....check
    > Step 2: insert disk 1 into cdrom....check
    > Step 3: make BIOS boot from cdrom before hd....check
    > Step 4: reboot.....check
    >
    > ----> Win XP boots
    >
    > Step 5: make BIOS boot from cdrom and nothing else....check
    > Step 6: reboot
    >
    > ----> BIOS says no OS is available and instructs me to insert a boot
    > disk
    >
    > arrgghhh
    >
    > Seems like this disk 1 isn't bootable. It is supposed to be bootable.
    > Are there any tricks to this? I did nothing special in the burn
    > process with roxio. I just selected "burn cd from image" and selected
    > the disk 1 iso image.

    It's most certainly bootable, I just made the disks last night from the same
    source
    and upgraded an FC1 box with them this morning. I'm sure this is obvious,
    but
    make sure you're not just burning the single ISO file to the CD as a file,
    but as an
    image instead. (ie, if you stick your burned CD in your NT box and see just
    your
    ISO file listed, you didn't burn it as an image).

  6. Re: Fedora Core 3 install CD won't boot

    Thanks folks. My burn speed had been too fast. I don't burn CDs much,
    but I forget that my 16x burner can't burn 16x disks at 16x...go
    figure. So I switched to the minimum speed of 4x and everything was
    swell.

+ Reply to Thread