Building the Kernel - Redhat

This is a discussion on Building the Kernel - Redhat ; Hi, I am trying to build the kernel on my Red Hat 9.0 system. I have built the kernel with the sources provided by Red Hat, but I want to use the clean sources from the web, so I downloaded ...

  1. Building the Kernel

    Hi,

    I am trying to build the kernel on my Red Hat 9.0 system. I have built the
    kernel with the sources provided by Red Hat, but I want to use the clean
    sources from the web, so I downloaded 2.4.21, untarred them into a
    directory, copied the defconfig to .config, and did a complete build. The
    kernel built OK, but the modules and modules_install seems to think it
    doesn't need to do anything, yet mkinitrd fails badly:

    I did a "make distclean" before I started, but apparently somehow Makefile
    thinks it does not need to build them. As far as I know, I have enabled all
    the right things in the .config.

    The same thing happened when I tried 2.4.24 sources

    Here are excerpts from the make(s) "make dep bzImage modules
    modules_install"
    tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT > bzImage
    Root device is (3, 2)
    Boot sector 512 bytes.
    Setup is 2533 bytes.
    System is 1149 kB
    warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot'
    make -C kernel
    CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include -Wall -Wstr
    ict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-fr
    ame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVER
    SIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include/linux/modversions.h"
    MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'

    make -C kernel modules_install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'

    [root@localhost linux-2.4.21]# mkinitrd /boot/initrd2.4.21 2.4.21
    No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.21, aborting.

  2. Re: Building the Kernel

    SimonW wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to build the kernel on my Red Hat 9.0 system. I have
    > built the kernel with the sources provided by Red Hat, but I want to
    > use the clean sources from the web, so I downloaded 2.4.21, untarred
    > them into a
    > directory, copied the defconfig to .config, and did a complete build.

    Using the defconfig is not a good idea, use the /boot/config-
    as your starting point then try again after reading;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...om-kernel.html

    And please use the latest vanilla kernel 2.4.29 source.

  3. Re: Building the Kernel

    SimonW wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to build the kernel on my Red Hat 9.0 system. I have built the
    > kernel with the sources provided by Red Hat, but I want to use the clean
    > sources from the web, so I downloaded 2.4.21, untarred them into a
    > directory, copied the defconfig to .config, and did a complete build. The
    > kernel built OK, but the modules and modules_install seems to think it
    > doesn't need to do anything, yet mkinitrd fails badly:
    >
    > I did a "make distclean" before I started, but apparently somehow Makefile
    > thinks it does not need to build them. As far as I know, I have enabled all
    > the right things in the .config.
    >
    > The same thing happened when I tried 2.4.24 sources
    >
    > Here are excerpts from the make(s) "make dep bzImage modules
    > modules_install"
    > tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT > bzImage
    > Root device is (3, 2)
    > Boot sector 512 bytes.
    > Setup is 2533 bytes.
    > System is 1149 kB
    > warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot'
    > make -C kernel
    > CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include -Wall -Wstr
    > ict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-fr
    > ame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DMODVER
    > SIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include/linux/modversions.h"
    > MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
    > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'
    > make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'

    > make -C kernel modules_install
    > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'
    > make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/kernel'

    > [root@localhost linux-2.4.21]# mkinitrd /boot/initrd2.4.21 2.4.21
    > No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.21, aborting.

    *chuckles* welcome to the world of redhat-kernels!
    get rid of them as fast as you possibly can and use 'standard' kernels
    from www.kernel.org (OK, I _know_ that's what you tried to do!). You've
    got to start with a .config somewhere - why not try to do it more or
    less from scratch, just include what you absolutely need to get it up
    and running and then slowly but surely add other stuff as needed/wanted.
    I know it's a long, slow road - but hey - there's always light at the
    end of a tunnel (unless it's the light from an oncoming train ...)

    -pbh-

+ Reply to Thread