Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora? - Redhat ; I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks...

  1. Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    greatly appreciated..

    Thanks

  2. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    epigram wrote:
    > I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    > product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    > and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated..

    Yes, GRUB and Disk Druid.

    Use GRUB to boot only Linux. Use Disk Druid to remove any partitions
    with Windows on them.

    ../k

  3. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    "Kurt von Finck" wrote in
    message news:1115arubtcp7449@corp.supernews.com...
    > epigram wrote:
    >> I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    >> product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    >> and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    >> greatly appreciated..

    > Yes, GRUB and Disk Druid.
    >
    > Use GRUB to boot only Linux. Use Disk Druid to remove any partitions with
    > Windows on them.
    >
    > ./k

    The only three hacker oriented problems with pure Linux that I am familiar
    with are not virus related. The three programs with problems have already
    been fixed.

    If you are serving windoze systems (email or file server) I recommend Vexira
    from www.centralcommand.com.

    Randy

  4. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    Op Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:10:05 -0800, schreef Kurt von Finck de volgende
    woorden:

    > epigram wrote:
    >> I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    >> product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    >> and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    >> greatly appreciated..

    > Yes, GRUB and Disk Druid.
    >
    > Use GRUB to boot only Linux. Use Disk Druid to remove any partitions
    > with Windows on them.
    >
    > ./k

    maybe he wants to scan the mail comming on his mailserver for windows
    virusses for his clients...

    In any case, I believe there are some linux virus scanners, but i don't
    use any...

    Dirk

    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't
    suck is probably the day they start making

  5. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    epigram wrote:
    > I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    > product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    > and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated..
    >
    > Thanks

    Check your Linux system for rootkits:
    A rootkit is a collection of utilities a hacker-cracker will leave in
    your system to maintain 'root' access to your computer.

    A tootkit can manifest as an
    o Alteration of binary files (passwd, lsof, ls, ps, sh...)

    o Malicious bash and other script files and weird
    hidden ".", " " directories.

    o Modified login accounts with fake, counterfeit names such as 'setup',
    'administrator' and 'sysadm'. Cracker can make changes in /etc/pam.d
    and /etc/sudoers files. ls -l /etc/{passwd,group,gshadow,shadow}

    Rootkit checkers can reveal such system modifications.

    http://www.rootkit.nl
    http://www.chkrootkit.org

    Other security related tools
    http://directory.fsf.org/security/System_security/

    Antivurus.

    Scan any (fat32, ext2/3, ntfs) diskpartition for viruses.
    Practically viruses are windows' only.
    http://www.clamav.net/

    Important guide to finalize a FC3 installment.
    http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html

    Litterature:

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/colsfaq.html (<-WHO WILL TAKE OVER
    THE RESP. OF UPDATING THIS FAQ ?)
    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/comp...13_netsecurity

    http://docs.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/04/15/1913248

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...l?Offer=tmlslg

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html#mirrors

  6. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    On 2005-02-15, epigram typed:
    > I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    > product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    > and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated..
    >
    > Thanks

    I've been using ClamAV for the last six months or so. It's relatively simple
    to install, and integrates well with my Sendmail setup. I think they're up
    to version 0.83 at the moment. Oh, and they update the virus signature
    databases very rapidly and consistently.

    For ClamAV : http://www.clamav.net

    For easy integration of ClamAV with Sendmail, try :

    http://drivel.com/clamassassin/

    HTH.

    Regards,

    Gladys.

    --
    Fortune says :

    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary,
    and those who don't.

  7. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:18:22 -0500, epigram wrote:

    > I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    > product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    > and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated..
    >
    > Thanks

    I am sure that there must be but you don't really need one. There are
    only two or three linux viruses known to man and most of them were
    designed as "proof of concept" programs. My ntlworld account has nothing
    but spam and viruses in it. If I downloaded mail from it in Windows, my
    system would be toast. Never had a problem with any linux I've tried.

    FProt is very good if you are using your Linux machine as a server to
    provide mail to Windows boxes though.

  8. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    epigram wrote:
    > I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    > product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    > and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    > greatly appreciated..

    Here's a shell script that will work pretty well:

    > ./virus-check

    No Viruses Found
    > cat virus-check

    OS=`uname`
    if [ "$OS" == "Linux" ]
    then
    echo "No Viruses Found";
    fi

    Duke

  9. Re: Anti-Virus Product for Linux/Fedora?

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:12:40 -0500, Duke Robillard wrote:

    > epigram wrote:
    >> I recently installed Linux/Fedora3. Is there a recommended anti-virus
    >> product for this OS? Ideally I'd like something that would update itself
    >> and require minimal intervention from myself. Any suggestions would be
    >> greatly appreciated..

    > Here's a shell script that will work pretty well:
    >
    > > ./virus-check

    > No Viruses Found
    > > cat virus-check

    > OS=`uname`