DVD Burning and Ripping under Fedora 3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on DVD Burning and Ripping under Fedora 3 - Redhat ; In the past, I have used xcdroast to burn CDs in RedHat, but it doesn't seem to be readily available anymore. Also, what about DVDs? Fedora seems to be crippled too in playing DVDs, let alone burning them. What is ...

  1. DVD Burning and Ripping under Fedora 3

    In the past, I have used xcdroast to burn CDs in RedHat, but it doesn't
    seem to be readily available anymore. Also, what about DVDs? Fedora
    seems to be crippled too in playing DVDs, let alone burning them. What
    is available to say make DVDs from Avi/Wmv and Mpeg files? What about
    ripping?

  2. Re: DVD Burning and Ripping under Fedora 3

    noi wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:46:50 +0000, no one thoughtfully wrote:
    >
    > > In the past, I have used xcdroast to burn CDs in RedHat, but it doesn't
    > > seem to be readily available anymore. Also, what about DVDs? Fedora
    > > seems to be crippled too in playing DVDs, let alone burning them. What
    > > is available to say make DVDs from Avi/Wmv and Mpeg files? What about
    > > ripping?

    > I switch between k3b and CDwriter for burning. K3b handles everything
    > well. For ripping I use Mplayer's Mencoder to 100% copy audio,
    > video, subtitles or shrink a DVD down to 1 CD avi or copy my favorite
    > scenes from a DVD. VLC, Mplayer, Ogle play DVDs if you link the /dev/hdc
    > to /dvd or something.

    I will do my best to find all these pieces.

  3. Re: DVD Burning and Ripping under Fedora 3

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:50:52 +0000, no one thoughtfully wrote:

    > noi wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:46:50 +0000, no one thoughtfully wrote:
    >>
    >> > In the past, I have used xcdroast to burn CDs in RedHat, but it
    >> > doesn't seem to be readily available anymore. Also, what about DVDs?
    >> > Fedora seems to be crippled too in playing DVDs, let alone burning
    >> > them. What is available to say make DVDs from Avi/Wmv and Mpeg files?
    >> > What about ripping?

    >> I switch between k3b and CDwriter for burning. K3b handles everything
    >> well. For ripping I use Mplayer's Mencoder to 100% copy audio, video,
    >> subtitles or shrink a DVD down to 1 CD avi or copy my favorite scenes
    >> from a DVD. VLC, Mplayer, Ogle play DVDs if you link the /dev/hdc to
    >> /dvd or something.

    > I will do my best to find all these pieces.

    I forgot to mention Tovid to convert avi/wmv to VCD, SVCD or DVD.
    Making a DVD takes awhile on my P3-933 but it does a good job and easy to
    use if you have all the components.

    vlc at http://www.videolan.org/
    Mplayer at http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage
    Tovid at http://tovid.sourceforge.net/

    Also not all wmv videos are supported, I guess there are many
    codecs naming files as wmv.

+ Reply to Thread