Redhat with LDAP - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat with LDAP - Redhat ; Just looking for some information from people that have implemented LDAP for authentication. I've found some nice articles online and I have one basic question. I think LDAP does this but I would like to know from people that have ...

  1. Redhat with LDAP

    Just looking for some information from people that have implemented
    LDAP for authentication.

    I've found some nice articles online and I have one basic question.
    I think LDAP does this but I would like to know from people that
    have implemented it.

    I have this for a network .. its a WAN spoke and hub type
    distributed network and I would like to investigate LDAP as
    an authentication method to allow users to logon anywhere (at any
    site) and then after logon they would be presented with their desktop
    settings and access to their email.

    Site A (Washington State) Site B (Florida)

    Site C - Hub of the hub and spoke
    network (Kansas)

    Site D (California) Site E (Rhode Is)

    So with that little network in place .. I need to know the following:

    1. Can a User from Site A travel to Site E, log on with his/her username
    password and is given the same desktop settings they would have at
    their home site (Site A)?

    I was thinking of having a centralized LDAP server at Site C and the
    slave servers at all other sites in case communications are down.

    2. What would be the recommended LDAP software (OpenLdap or some
    commercial options).
    3. How can I work to ensure ease of administration? If needed at
    alls, most of the administrators would be at Site C and do remote
    admin of other sites.

    Any thoughts from people with similiar experience would be great.

    Thanks
    dogdog

  2. Re: Redhat with LDAP

    dogdog@noemail.com wrote:
    > Just looking for some information from people that have implemented
    > LDAP for authentication.
    >
    > I've found some nice articles online and I have one basic question.
    > I think LDAP does this but I would like to know from people that
    > have implemented it.
    >
    > I have this for a network .. its a WAN spoke and hub type
    > distributed network and I would like to investigate LDAP as
    > an authentication method to allow users to logon anywhere (at any
    > site) and then after logon they would be presented with their desktop
    > settings and access to their email.
    >
    > Site A (Washington State) Site B (Florida)
    >
    > Site C - Hub of the hub and spoke
    > network (Kansas)
    >
    > Site D (California) Site E (Rhode Is)
    >
    > So with that little network in place .. I need to know the following:
    >
    > 1. Can a User from Site A travel to Site E, log on with his/her username
    > password and is given the same desktop settings they would have at
    > their home site (Site A)?
    >
    > I was thinking of having a centralized LDAP server at Site C and the
    > slave servers at all other sites in case communications are down.
    >
    > 2. What would be the recommended LDAP software (OpenLdap or some
    > commercial options).
    > 3. How can I work to ensure ease of administration? If needed at
    > alls, most of the administrators would be at Site C and do remote
    > admin of other sites.
    >
    > Any thoughts from people with similiar experience would be great.
    >
    > Thanks
    > dogdog

    Sure. You can do this with LDAP. You can even do this with NIS or NIS+.
    You would have to run the same desktop OS on all clients though. Not all
    window managers or even the same versions of gnome or what have you are
    compatible with each other. You would also need to have a file server to
    house all the home directories.

    Good luck.

  3. Re: Redhat with LDAP

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 07:25:26 +0000, Alton Yu wrote:

    > dogdog@noemail.com wrote:
    >> Just looking for some information from people that have implemented
    >> LDAP for authentication.
    >>
    >> I've found some nice articles online and I have one basic question.
    >> I think LDAP does this but I would like to know from people that
    >> have implemented it.
    >>
    >> I have this for a network .. its a WAN spoke and hub type
    >> distributed network and I would like to investigate LDAP as
    >> an authentication method to allow users to logon anywhere (at any
    >> site) and then after logon they would be presented with their desktop
    >> settings and access to their email.
    >>
    >> Site A (Washington State) Site B (Florida)
    >>
    >> Site C - Hub of the hub and spoke
    >> network (Kansas)
    >>
    >> Site D (California) Site E (Rhode Is)
    >>
    >> So with that little network in place .. I need to know the following:
    >>
    >> 1. Can a User from Site A travel to Site E, log on with his/her username
    >> password and is given the same desktop settings they would have at
    >> their home site (Site A)?
    >>
    >> I was thinking of having a centralized LDAP server at Site C and the
    >> slave servers at all other sites in case communications are down.
    >>
    >> 2. What would be the recommended LDAP software (OpenLdap or some
    >> commercial options).
    >> 3. How can I work to ensure ease of administration? If needed at
    >> alls, most of the administrators would be at Site C and do remote
    >> admin of other sites.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts from people with similiar experience would be great.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> dogdog

    > Sure. You can do this with LDAP. You can even do this with NIS or NIS+.
    > You would have to run the same desktop OS on all clients though. Not all
    > window managers or even the same versions of gnome or what have you are
    > compatible with each other. You would also need to have a file server to
    > house all the home directories.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Alton,

    Thanks .. when you say fileserver I'm guessing you mean to share out
    the home directries under NFS. Currently I locate my home dirs
    on an NFS share at each site in order to facilitate central managment
    (From that site). Would I need
    a centralized home share directory?? Something located at Site C?
    Or can I just keep the current architecture in place whereas each
    users home dir is associated with their home Sites NFS share providing
    access to their home directory?

    Thanks for the infor relating to commonality on the client OSs.
    I would like to keep this as stable across the board as possible,
    whereas each sites workstations are all the same. Then when I do
    patch updates I know that I am across the board the same. But the
    point is taken .. and I never thought of it, so thanks there alot.

    tks
    dogdog

+ Reply to Thread