Red Hat Network/Up2date - hangs? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Red Hat Network/Up2date - hangs? - Redhat ; Complete linux newbie here, so I apologize up front for any idiotic questions. :-) I installed Fedora 3 yesterday and all went fine. I then figured there must be some sort of update facility for the OS. I stumbled upon ...

  1. Red Hat Network/Up2date - hangs?

    Complete linux newbie here, so I apologize up front for any idiotic
    questions. :-)

    I installed Fedora 3 yesterday and all went fine. I then figured there must
    be some sort of update facility for the OS. I stumbled upon the Red Hat
    Network utility and decided to run it. Since I really had no idea I was
    doing, I just checked all channels and subsequent packages as I went through
    the "wizard" screens. It downloaded for a really long time and then
    appeared to start installing the udpates. It seems to have hung at some
    point yesterday, because when I came in this morning the up2date program was
    still up, but was not responding. So, I killed the process.

    I am running it again but trying to select only one package at a time to see
    if that makes a difference. Any help on what may have caused the lock up
    and/or how I should go about the update process would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Red Hat Network/Up2date - hangs?

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:01:48 -0500, epigram wrote:

    > Complete linux newbie here, so I apologize up front for any idiotic
    > questions. :-)
    >
    > I installed Fedora 3 yesterday and all went fine. I then figured there must
    > be some sort of update facility for the OS. I stumbled upon the Red Hat
    > Network utility and decided to run it. Since I really had no idea I was
    > doing, I just checked all channels and subsequent packages as I went through
    > the "wizard" screens. It downloaded for a really long time and then
    > appeared to start installing the udpates. It seems to have hung at some
    > point yesterday, because when I came in this morning the up2date program was
    > still up, but was not responding. So, I killed the process.

    I would suggest you use Yum or Apt for updating/installing packages to
    your system. Up2date has improved, but I have found it to still be
    problematic.

    You can check www.fedoranews.org for some nice setup info on both Yum and
    Apt. Both have nice GUI front end add-ons if you prefer that experience.
    Both programs are reliable when setup properly.

    tom

  3. Re: Red Hat Network/Up2date - hangs?

    tom wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:01:48 -0500, epigram wrote:
    >

    >>Complete linux newbie here, so I apologize up front for any idiotic
    >>questions. :-)
    >>
    >>I installed Fedora 3 yesterday and all went fine. I then figured there must
    >>be some sort of update facility for the OS. I stumbled upon the Red Hat
    >>Network utility and decided to run it. Since I really had no idea I was
    >>doing, I just checked all channels and subsequent packages as I went through
    >>the "wizard" screens. It downloaded for a really long time and then
    >>appeared to start installing the udpates. It seems to have hung at some
    >>point yesterday, because when I came in this morning the up2date program was
    >>still up, but was not responding. So, I killed the process.
    >>

    > I would suggest you use Yum or Apt for updating/installing packages to
    > your system. Up2date has improved, but I have found it to still be
    > problematic.
    >
    > You can check www.fedoranews.org for some nice setup info on both Yum and
    > Apt. Both have nice GUI front end add-ons if you prefer that experience.
    > Both programs are reliable when setup properly.
    >
    > tom

    Agreed Yum update is great - I do an automated update every week using
    cron and have never had a problem.

  4. Re: Red Hat Network/Up2date - hangs?

    epigram wrote:
    > I installed Fedora 3 yesterday and all went fine. I then figured there must
    > be some sort of update facility for the OS. I stumbled upon the Red Hat
    > Network utility and decided to run it. Since I really had no idea I was
    > doing, I just checked all channels and subsequent packages as I went through
    > the "wizard" screens. It downloaded for a really long time and then
    > appeared to start installing the udpates. It seems to have hung at some
    > point yesterday, because when I came in this morning the up2date program was
    > still up, but was not responding. So, I killed the process.
    >
    > I am running it again but trying to select only one package at a time to see
    > if that makes a difference. Any help on what may have caused the lock up
    > and/or how I should go about the update process would be much appreciated.

    Try this link:

    http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

    It suggests using yum. I recently installed Fedora Core 3, and noticed
    it took a long time to contact up2date and do what it had to do. I
    googled and found the link above.

    HTH,

    ....Ric
    --
    Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"

+ Reply to Thread