FC 3 : nVidia 6629 Driver Problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC 3 : nVidia 6629 Driver Problem - Redhat ; HI everybody , I have been trying to find a solution with my nVidia driver problem , I have searched quite a few forums about it and nobody have been able to offer any type of suggestion of how to ...

  1. FC 3 : nVidia 6629 Driver Problem

    HI everybody ,

    I have been trying to find a solution with my nVidia driver problem , I have
    searched quite a few forums about it and nobody have been able to offer any
    type of suggestion of how to fix it.

    I originally I had FC2 working really good with the 6106 drivers and then a
    few days ago I upgraded FC 2 --> FC 3 and now I have a problem with the 6629
    drivers and the OpenGL screensavers in user mode as well as being unable to
    run 2 games , Tux Racer and Chromium.
    ( I am able to play all the games in /root mode )

    Other than those 2 problems , the video drivers are working good with
    everything else.

    I have re-installed the drivers at least three times and have gone through
    all the recommend instructions from a few web sites as well as trolling
    through the 6629 README file.

    I have all the drivers installed , here is a listing of /etc/udev/devices ,
    I have compared this listing to another system from LinuxQuestions and they
    have exactly the same drivers.
    ( /dev directory shows the same listing for the nvidia drivers. )

    [steve@panther ~]$ ls -al /etc/udev/devices
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 4 21:06 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Feb 4 21:27 ..
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 0 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 1 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia1
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 2 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia2
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 3 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia3
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 4 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia4
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 5 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia5
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 6 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia6
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 195, 7 Feb 4 18:01 nvidia7
    crw-rw---- 1 root root 195, 255 Feb 4 18:01 nvidiactl

    Every time I go to preview the OpenGL screensavers , like Atlantis , Gears
    and all the GL* screensavers in user mode , I get the error message :
    Error : Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions are too
    restrictive.
    Please see the FAQs section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for
    steps to correct.
    It seems that none of the OpenGL drivers have been installed with any of the
    screensavers.
    I have also run the install package with the --sane option and that reports
    that everything is installed properly.
    I have also run the install package with the --openGL option to extract the
    openGL packages and that hasn't worked either.

    I have also tried to install the GL drivers from Lavinia.org through yum by
    using the command

    yum install nvidia-glx kernel-module-nvidia-`(uname -r )`

    The drivers installed properly but I am still unable to run the OpenGL
    screensavers in user mode.

    I stuffed as to what to do next , has anybody got any ideas of what could be
    the problem.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    System specs
    cpu P3 1 Ghz
    mobo Asus TUSL2-C
    ram 512 Mb
    video Leadtek 64 Mb GF4 Mx 440
    HDD hda 40 Gb Seagate , hdd 40 Gb Seagate
    monitor Viewsonic E70f
    boot setup Duel boot - FC3 / Widows 98 SE

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  2. Re: FC 3 : nVidia 6629 Driver Problem - FOUND SOLUTION !

    "Sandgroper" wrote in message
    > HI everybody ,
    >
    > I have been trying to find a solution with my nVidia driver problem , I

    have
    > searched quite a few forums about it and nobody have been able to offer

    any
    > type of suggestion of how to fix it.
    >
    > I originally I had FC2 working really good with the 6106 drivers and then

    > few days ago I upgraded FC 2 --> FC 3 and now I have a problem with the

    6629
    > drivers and the OpenGL screensavers in user mode as well as being unable

    > run 2 games , Tux Racer and Chromium.
    > ( I am able to play all the games in /root mode )
    >
    > Other than those 2 problems , the video drivers are working good with
    > everything else.

    I have found the solution to my problem , thanks to somebody on the nVidia
    forum web site.

    His suggestion was for an similar problem so I tried it and it works without
    any side effects.

    The solution is to change the root permissions for nvidia in the file
    /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions , in the section :

    dri devices

    change the entry:

    nvidia*:root:root:0660
    nvidia*:root:root:0666

    Reboot the system and everything works fine.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au