New User - Redhat 9 - Redhat

This is a discussion on New User - Redhat 9 - Redhat ; Hello. I am trying out Redhat 9 in our small shop. Is there a graphical interface to install on a WinXP machine so that we can graphically connect to a Redhat 9 server? I can connect using telnet but I ...

  1. New User - Redhat 9

    Hello.

    I am trying out Redhat 9 in our small shop. Is there a
    graphical interface to install on a WinXP machine so that we
    can graphically connect to a Redhat 9 server? I can connect
    using telnet but I want to be able to use management tools,
    available on the server (if any), from my WinXP client
    machine.

    Thanks in advance.

    P.S.

    Is there an equivalent command on Redhat 9 to IBM AIX
    4.3.3's "smitty"?

  2. Re: New User - Redhat 9

    You need an X server that will install on your XP machine. Common
    commercial versions are Hummingbird Exceed and WRQ Reflection.

    If you are looking for the cheap route, and I suspect you are, use vnc
    client. It's free and can be found at http://www.realvnc.com.

    Also, install VNC server (which should be in the RedHat 9 distro) on
    your linux box. Simply start the vncserver on your linux box and
    connect to it using the client on your XP box.

    There is obviously more to it than that but between the documentation
    on realvnc.com and the man pages on your RH9 box, you'll be connected
    in no time.

+ Reply to Thread