I have the following entry in 'fstab':

/dev/hda4 /mnt/data ext2 noauto,users,rw 0 0

I have disabled 'fstab-sync' per the instructions contained in 'man
fstab-sync'. I did a power off shutdown followed by a cold startup.

Here is the problem: Whenever I log in, the initial condition of this
device is 'mounted'. If I unmount the device, log off, and log in as a
different user, the initial condition of this device is again 'mounted'.

This entry in 'fstab' worked as expected in FC1. Why doesn't it work as
expected in FC3? Doesn't 'noauto' mean 'noauto'?...

Additional:

I have four IDE controllers on my system. Therefore, 'hda' through 'hdh'
are available.

I added the following lines to 'fstab', added the appropriate subdirectories
to 'mnt', and did a full restart.

/dev/hde1 /mnt/Transfer_E vfat noauto,users,rw 0 0
/dev/hdg1 /mnt/Transfer_G vfat noauto,users,rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/Kingston auto noauto,users,rw 0 0

The last entry is for a Kingston 128MB USB Flash Drive.

Then I ran some tests and got the following results:

1. If an IDE drive is present and one (or more) of its partitions is listed
in 'fstab', its listed partitions are mounted automatically in spite of the
'noauto' parameter being specified.

2. If an entry in 'fstab' does not reference an IDE drive partition, the
device in the entry is not mounted automatically if the 'noauto' parameter
is specified (i.e., it works as expected).

Apparently, the problem only occurs with entries referencing IDE drive
partitions when the drive is present.