Replace string in all files in a directory - Redhat

This is a discussion on Replace string in all files in a directory - Redhat ; Is there a utility or command that will allow me to replace all occurrences of a string within all files in a directory? I'm trying to mass update IP addresses of all DNS zone files in my /var/named/ folder....

  1. Replace string in all files in a directory

    Is there a utility or command that will allow me to replace all occurrences
    of a string within all files in a directory?

    I'm trying to mass update IP addresses of all DNS zone files in my
    /var/named/ folder.

  2. Re: Replace string in all files in a directory

    "Shabam" wrote in

    > Is there a utility or command that will allow me to replace all
    > occurrences of a string within all files in a directory?
    >
    > I'm trying to mass update IP addresses of all DNS zone files in my
    > /var/named/ folder.

    find . -exec sed .....

  3. Re: Replace string in all files in a directory

    In article , Shabam wrote:
    > Is there a utility or command that will allow me to replace all occurrences
    > of a string within all files in a directory?
    >
    > I'm trying to mass update IP addresses of all DNS zone files in my
    > /var/named/ folder.

    Assuming old IP is '192.168.0.5' and new IP is '10.1.0.6', you can do this:

    # perl -pi -e 's/192\.168\.0\.5/10.1.0.6/g' /var/named/*

    You can also do this, which will make a backup of each file with a ".bak"
    extension:

    # perl -pi.bak -e 's/192\.168\.0\.5/10.1.0.6/g' /var/named/*

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread