File Types and Programs? (FC3) - Redhat

This is a discussion on File Types and Programs? (FC3) - Redhat ; What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in FC3??? Now, I have to admit that that particular program was one of the absolute *worst* ones in the entire Fedora distribution, but I'd sort of learned how ...

  1. File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in
    FC3??? Now, I have to admit that that particular program was one of
    the absolute *worst* ones in the entire Fedora distribution, but I'd
    sort of learned how to work around its quirks. However, in my brand
    new FC3 install (official release), IT APPEARS TO HAVE VANISHED, WITH
    NOTHING TO REPLACE IT!

    It used to be in the old control-center RPM, but it is definitely
    gone. I would be extatic to see that they have replaced it with
    something else, but I haven't found anything. I'm wondering now, how
    do you go in and CHANGE one of the Gnome file associations, so that
    when I bring up either the file manager or any other Gnome aware
    program (like Evolution), how do I tell it to use application "Foo" to
    open a file rather than the defalut "Bar" that comes with the
    distribution??????

    I've spent HOURS looking for this on Google, and everything I've seen
    says that the gnome-file-types-properties program is still there.

    --
    Chuck Tryon

  2. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in
    > FC3??? Now, I have to admit that that particular program was one of
    > the absolute *worst* ones in the entire Fedora distribution, but I'd
    > sort of learned how to work around its quirks. However, in my brand
    > new FC3 install (official release), IT APPEARS TO HAVE VANISHED, WITH
    > NOTHING TO REPLACE IT!
    >
    > It used to be in the old control-center RPM, but it is definitely
    > gone. I would be extatic to see that they have replaced it with
    > something else, but I haven't found anything. I'm wondering now, how
    > do you go in and CHANGE one of the Gnome file associations, so that
    > when I bring up either the file manager or any other Gnome aware
    > program (like Evolution), how do I tell it to use application "Foo" to
    > open a file rather than the defalut "Bar" that comes with the
    > distribution??????
    >
    > I've spent HOURS looking for this on Google, and everything I've seen
    > says that the gnome-file-types-properties program is still there.
    >
    > --
    > Chuck Tryon

    GNOME is moving towards the freedesktop.org standards, one of which is
    how to interact with the MIME database. Since FC3 is using GNOME 2.8,
    the change is in process.

    More information on how to mangage this system via Nautilus is here:

    http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnwhatsnew.html

    The file associations process is at the top of the page.

    HTH,

    Marc Schwartz

  3. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > Charles Tryon wrote:
    >
    >> What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in
    >> FC3??? Now, I have to admit that that particular program was one of
    >> the absolute *worst* ones in the entire Fedora distribution, but I'd
    >> sort of learned how to work around its quirks. However, in my brand
    >> new FC3 install (official release), IT APPEARS TO HAVE VANISHED, WITH
    >> NOTHING TO REPLACE IT!

    >> --
    >> Chuck Tryon

    > GNOME is moving towards the freedesktop.org standards, one of which is
    > how to interact with the MIME database. Since FC3 is using GNOME 2.8,
    > the change is in process.
    >
    > More information on how to mangage this system via Nautilus is here:
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnwhatsnew.html
    >
    > The file associations process is at the top of the page.

    ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

    It makes a lot more sense putting it in that menu. The problem was, I
    have never before found anything of any use in that particular dialog,
    so I never even thought to look there. Turns out, it has finally found
    a use.

    Thanks again.

    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc Schwartz

  4. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > Charles Tryon wrote:
    >
    >> What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in
    >> FC3??? ...

    > GNOME is moving towards the freedesktop.org standards, one of which is
    > how to interact with the MIME database. Since FC3 is using GNOME 2.8,
    > the change is in process.
    >
    > More information on how to mangage this system via Nautilus is here:
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnwhatsnew.html
    >
    > The file associations process is at the top of the page.

    OK, that fixes the "Open With" question, but I couldn't find a way to
    associate an icon with a file extension (e.g., "*.doc"). I can
    associate an icon with a SPECIFIC FILE, but not a file type.

    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc Schwartz

  5. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > Marc Schwartz wrote:
    >
    >> Charles Tryon wrote:
    >>
    >>> What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in
    >>> FC3??? ...

    >> GNOME is moving towards the freedesktop.org standards, one of which is
    >> how to interact with the MIME database. Since FC3 is using GNOME 2.8,
    >> the change is in process.
    >>
    >> More information on how to mangage this system via Nautilus is here:
    >>
    >> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnwhatsnew.html
    >>
    >> The file associations process is at the top of the page.

    > OK, that fixes the "Open With" question, but I couldn't find a way to
    > associate an icon with a file extension (e.g., "*.doc"). I can
    > associate an icon with a SPECIFIC FILE, but not a file type.

    From what I can tell via some extensive searching, there is not yet an
    application or applet via the standard GNOME 2.8 installation that
    enables this. I would guess that it is an indication that the change is
    still one in progress.

    I am actually using Xfce, not GNOME and I use the Rox-Filer instead of
    Nautilus. Under Rox, which supports the Freedesktop spec, there is a
    mechanism integrated into the filer to specify icons and associated
    applications.

    At this point, you may be limited to manually changing the default icon
    or a particular mime type via simply overwriting the default icon for
    the mime type with one of your choosing. Curiously, even the Nautilus
    help file still references the old File Types and Programs tool.

    There is more information available at
    http://freedesktop.org/Standards/ico...-spec-0.8.html
    which describes the evolving icon theme spec.

    I also checked over at the GNOME support forums and there are at least
    two or three unanswered posts with this same question. So perhaps there
    is no default solution yet. It would seem logical that, as with the
    application setting that is built into Nautilus now, an extension to it
    to enable altering the default mime type icon would be a high priority
    "to do".

    HTH,

    Marc

  6. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > Charles Tryon wrote:
    >
    >> Marc Schwartz wrote:

    >>> GNOME is moving towards the freedesktop.org standards, one of which
    >>> is how to interact with the MIME database. Since FC3 is using GNOME
    >>> 2.8, the change is in process.
    >>>
    >>> More information on how to mangage this system via Nautilus is here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnwhatsnew.html

    >> OK, that fixes the "Open With" question, but I couldn't find a way
    >> to associate an icon with a file extension (e.g., "*.doc"). I can
    >> associate an icon with a SPECIFIC FILE, but not a file type.

    > From what I can tell via some extensive searching, there is not yet an
    > application or applet via the standard GNOME 2.8 installation that
    > enables this. I would guess that it is an indication that the change is
    > still one in progress.
    > At this point, you may be limited to manually changing the default icon
    > or a particular mime type via simply overwriting the default icon for
    > the mime type with one of your choosing. ..

    Unfortunately, I don't think that helps is there is no mime type
    associated with the file, or if it uses the global "default gnome foot"
    icon.

    > Curiously, even the Nautilus
    > help file still references the old File Types and Programs tool.

    Yea, I notices that too, which is why I was tearing my hair out
    LOOKING for it. :-/

    > I also checked over at the GNOME support forums and there are at least
    > two or three unanswered posts with this same question. So perhaps there
    > is no default solution yet. It would seem logical that, as with the
    > application setting that is built into Nautilus now, an extension to it
    > to enable altering the default mime type icon would be a high priority
    > "to do".
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc

    Well, this *is* Fedora after all, so I'm not really surprised by the,
    "We made some fundamental changes, and some parts are still broken"
    nature of the release. That's sort of the POINT of Fedora.

    I guess if I can set the default application, I can live with it.
    Besides, I don't really use Nautilus that much. It's still terribly
    slow, and even after forcing myself to use the new UI for a while,
    trying to get used to it, I still hate the "new window for every
    directory" method. I'm much better off using the menu to start an
    application and then opening the file I want.

    (What I *really* want is the Google desktop search tool, but I guess
    we have to wait a while before that is available on Linux. :-( )

    --
    Chuck Tryon

  7. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Charles Tryon wrote:

    > Well, this *is* Fedora after all, so I'm not really surprised by the,
    > "We made some fundamental changes, and some parts are still broken"
    > nature of the release. That's sort of the POINT of Fedora.

    The risk of bleeding edge... :-)

    > I guess if I can set the default application, I can live with it.
    > Besides, I don't really use Nautilus that much. It's still terribly
    > slow, and even after forcing myself to use the new UI for a while,
    > trying to get used to it, I still hate the "new window for every
    > directory" method. I'm much better off using the menu to start an
    > application and then opening the file I want.

    That's one of the reasons that I use Xfce (CVS Version) and Rox (both
    since RH 9). Both are lightweight and fast and support the standards.
    Even on the relatively high end hardware that I have (3.2Ghz P4 with 2Gb
    RAM) I can see performance differences between GNOME versus Xfce + Rox.

    I don't like the new behavior of Nautilus either, though I did try it
    out for a bit.

    Cheers,

    Marc

  8. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Marc Schwartz wrote:
    > Charles Tryon wrote:
    >
    >> What happened to the old Gnome "File Types and Programs" tool in
    >> FC3??? ....

    > GNOME is moving towards the freedesktop.org standards, one of which is
    > how to interact with the MIME database. Since FC3 is using GNOME 2.8,
    > the change is in process.
    >
    > More information on how to mangage this system via Nautilus is here:
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnwhatsnew.html
    >
    > The file associations process is at the top of the page.

    As we've already discussed, you can associate an application with a
    file type in the Nautilus browser, but it appears there isn't a clean
    way to associate an icon with a new file type. I can live with that.

    What I'm running into now is the fact that there are *other*
    applications that use the MIME type, such as Evolution 2. It knows
    enough that a "msword" file is associated with a particular icon, but I
    can't get it to try to open the file with any application. At first
    glance, this is an Evolution problem, but I think it is looking to try
    to use the standard MIME mappings to figure out what to do with the
    file, rather than each application doing it on its own.

    (While the old "File Types and Programs" had a really sucky UI, it
    was at least, moving in the right direction. There should be just one
    place where you set these types and applications, rather than doing it
    over and over again in each application. I hope FC3 is still planning
    on doing something like this, even if they haven't gotten there yet for
    some reason.)

    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc Schwartz

  9. Re: File Types and Programs? (FC3)

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > As we've already discussed, you can associate an application with a
    > file type in the Nautilus browser, but it appears there isn't a clean
    > way to associate an icon with a new file type. I can live with that.

    Not yet anyway. As I mentioned in a prior post, presumably the
    additional functionality will be added to Nautilus or a separate
    MIME/Icon editor application will be provided. There is one provided for
    Xfce and another Python based app for Rox, but I have not played around
    with them much.

    In Rox-filer, using a right-click menu on the file, I can define that an
    icon is used for just that particular file or it is to be used for all
    files of that MIME type.

    > What I'm running into now is the fact that there are *other*
    > applications that use the MIME type, such as Evolution 2. It knows
    > enough that a "msword" file is associated with a particular icon, but I
    > can't get it to try to open the file with any application. At first
    > glance, this is an Evolution problem, but I think it is looking to try
    > to use the standard MIME mappings to figure out what to do with the
    > file, rather than each application doing it on its own.

    Part of the problem with being in the midst of this change, is that not
    all applications are yet properly configured to "register" themselves in
    the MIME database using the defined freedesktop.org methods. One of the
    ways in which this is done is to use the .desktop file process. If the
    program uses that approach, it will register itself for a given MIME
    type (or more than one, for example in the case of OpenOffice). That
    information will then be available to other apps (like Evo) that use the
    MIME database.

    That process is referenced at:

    http://freedesktop.org/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec

    In lieu of that, what I found in one case with PDF files when I
    installed Acrobat, was to use Nautilus to add a new application (as we
    discussed before) to the "Open With" tab. That application then becomes
    available to Evo for opening the attachment.

    I don't recall if Evo picked up the change right away or if I had to
    completely shut down Evo ('evolution --force-shutdown' from a console)
    and then restart. But the new app is now available to open the attachments.

    > (While the old "File Types and Programs" had a really sucky UI, it was
    > at least, moving in the right direction. There should be just one place
    > where you set these types and applications, rather than doing it over
    > and over again in each application. I hope FC3 is still planning on
    > doing something like this, even if they haven't gotten there yet for
    > some reason.)

    Part of the issue is how much the FC folks do themselves in packaging
    the apps versus where they make a decision to wait until the 'upstream'
    developers move forward with respect to adopting the new standards. In
    this case, presumably given the GNOME documentation itself, we may be in
    a position of having to wait until the GNOME folks rather than the FC
    folks, introduce the new functionality. For those using other desktops
    and apps (ie. KDE) the same interim issue is in play.

    HTH,

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread