    Please help - what do I do about it?

    Tried to run Xorg -configure, unsuccessfully - it aborts and complains
    that I don't have a mouse (well I don't, there is a touchpad on it)...

    syrahz_derzai at yahoo.com

  2. Re: up2date broke my X ...

    Randy McLaughlin wrote:
    > "syrahz_derzai" wrote
    >> Ran up2date today - got openoffice, ruby, nscd, glibc, and gd.
    >>
    >> Somehow my X got broken in the process! I rebooted and now can only
    >> log in in the text mode. I updated xorg few days ago too, but that
    >> went well and X was starting fine until today.
    >>
    >> I've got Fedora Core 2 on
    >> Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook; 15 inch SXGA+
    >> 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForceTM FX Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics
    >>
    >> Please help - what do I do about it?
    >>
    >> Tried to run Xorg -configure, unsuccessfully - it aborts and complains
    >> that I don't have a mouse (well I don't, there is a touchpad on it)...
    >>

    > Can you run startx? Has your /etc/inittab default runlevel changed from 5?

    startx gives me black screen too. I changed runlevel to 3 by
    connecting remotely so that now I can login in text mode.

  3. Re: up2date broke my X ...

    "syrahz_derzai at yahoo.com" wrote in message
    > Randy McLaughlin wrote:
    > > "syrahz_derzai" wrote
    > >> Ran up2date today - got openoffice, ruby, nscd, glibc, and gd.
    > >>
    > >> Somehow my X got broken in the process! I rebooted and now can only
    > >> log in in the text mode. I updated xorg few days ago too, but that
    > >> went well and X was starting fine until today.
    > >>
    > >> I've got Fedora Core 2 on
    > >> Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook; 15 inch SXGA+
    > >> 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForceTM FX Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics
    > >>
    > >> Please help - what do I do about it?
    > >>
    > >> Tried to run Xorg -configure, unsuccessfully - it aborts and complains
    > >> that I don't have a mouse (well I don't, there is a touchpad on it)...
    > >>

    > > Can you run startx? Has your /etc/inittab default runlevel changed from

    5?

    > startx gives me black screen too. I changed runlevel to 3 by
    > connecting remotely so that now I can login in text mode.

    I was hoping someone better than I would respond. Since no one else will
    I'll put another two cents in:

    Have you checked the log files? Often I find it easier to delete the
    logfiles then try to run it again that way the logfiles are cleaner.

    Have you checked the /etc/X11/XF86Config file?

    If necessary you can reinstall the RPM's.

    Randy

  4. Re: up2date broke my X ...

    Randy McLaughlin wrote:
    > "syrahz_derzai at yahoo.com" wrote
    >> Randy McLaughlin wrote:
    >> > "syrahz_derzai" wrote

    >> > Can you run startx? Has your /etc/inittab default runlevel changed from 5?

    >> startx gives me black screen too. I changed runlevel to 3 by
    >> connecting remotely so that now I can login in text mode.

    > I was hoping someone better than I would respond. Since no one else will
    > I'll put another two cents in:
    >
    > Have you checked the log files? Often I find it easier to delete the
    > logfiles then try to run it again that way the logfiles are cleaner.
    >
    > Have you checked the /etc/X11/XF86Config file?
    >
    > If necessary you can reinstall the RPM's.

    Thanks... Someone a lot more knowledgeable than me tried to restore X
    but couldn't. Told me up2date messed up the system while fetching and
    putting glib in. Had to re-install Fedora - I had local files saved so
    not a problem. Is this a known issue? The disk on this notebook is
    split in two - first half is to hold XP. I was told to use 'yum' for
    updates.

  5. Re: up2date broke my X ...

    > Thanks... Someone a lot more knowledgeable than me tried to restore X
    > but couldn't. Told me up2date messed up the system while fetching and
    > putting glib in. Had to re-install Fedora - I had local files saved so
    > not a problem. Is this a known issue? The disk on this notebook is
    > split in two - first half is to hold XP. I was told to use 'yum' for
    > updates.

    The only trouble I ever had with up2date was corrupted RPM index, never
    corrupting any package.

    I don't remember the command to repair the database, I just typed rpm --help
    and saw what I needed.

    One thing to do is once you see the problem quickly check the log files to
    see the last files added. I would have manually told up2date to force
    installation of the same packages again.

    If all you had was a workstation setup (laptops make terrible servers) it
    was probably much faster to backup and start over.

    I like starting over with a clean install, it really doesn't take that long.
    With a server it just takes more files to keep (from /etc, /var).

    Randy

+ Reply to Thread