Can't login - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't login - Redhat ; Hi, One of our users was messing about with their linux laptop, and somehow managed to turn on LDAP authentication for PAM. Now we can't login in either text or gui mode (Authentication Failed messages). The messages file is reporting: ...

  1. Can't login

    Hi,

    One of our users was messing about with their linux laptop, and somehow
    managed to turn on LDAP authentication for PAM.

    Now we can't login in either text or gui mode (Authentication Failed
    messages). The messages file is reporting:

    pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server

    I can boot in single user mode, but I can't see where to change back to
    normal authentication. None of the files in /etc/pam.d have been changed
    (according to their timestamp).

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks,

    Iain

    PS OS is RedHat 9 (Kernel 2.4.20-8)

  2. Re: Can't login

    It's ok - I've sussed it!

    /etc/pam.d/system-auth had changed. I ran authconfig and all is well again
    :-)

    Iain

    "Iain McLaren" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of our users was messing about with their linux laptop, and somehow
    > managed to turn on LDAP authentication for PAM.
    >
    > Now we can't login in either text or gui mode (Authentication Failed
    > messages). The messages file is reporting:
    >
    > pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server
    >
    > I can boot in single user mode, but I can't see where to change back to
    > normal authentication. None of the files in /etc/pam.d have been changed
    > (according to their timestamp).
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Iain