procmail + spamassassin - Redhat

This is a discussion on procmail + spamassassin - Redhat ; Does anyone know why procmail on my FC1 system seems to ignore /etc/procmailrc? I've only been using procmail for a few days, after having used a custom Mail::Audit/Mail::SpamAssassin script for the last few years. Anyway, in my early efforts with ...

  1. procmail + spamassassin

    Does anyone know why procmail on my FC1 system seems to ignore /etc/procmailrc?
    I've only been using procmail for a few days, after having used a custom
    Mail::Audit/Mail::SpamAssassin script for the last few years. Anyway, in my
    early efforts with procmail so far, it seems to see $HOME/.procmailrc files
    fine but not /etc/procmailrc.

    What I want to achieve is to have /etc/procmailrc call spamd (system wide),
    rather than on a user by user basis so that I can use spamassassin's bayesian
    filtering on a larger spam/ham base built from all the users of this system.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Kevin

  2. Re: procmail + spamassassin

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:14:02 +0000, Kevin Collins thoughtfully wrote:

    > Does anyone know why procmail on my FC1 system seems to ignore
    > /etc/procmailrc? I've only been using procmail for a few days, after
    > having used a custom Mail::Audit/Mail::SpamAssassin script for the last
    > few years. Anyway, in my early efforts with procmail so far, it seems to
    > see $HOME/.procmailrc files fine but not /etc/procmailrc.
    >
    > What I want to achieve is to have /etc/procmailrc call spamd (system
    > wide), rather than on a user by user basis so that I can use
    > spamassassin's bayesian filtering on a larger spam/ham base built from all
    > the users of this system.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Kevin

    Wouldn't you enable spamassassin in the system wide procmailrc?
    Also, as long as you have a .procmailrc I think that takes precedence.
    Man procmailrc procmailex and review /usr/doc/procmail../procmailrc
    examples and the /usr/doc for spamassassin site wide implementation.

  3. Re: procmail + spamassassin

    In article , noi wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:14:02 +0000, Kevin Collins thoughtfully wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know why procmail on my FC1 system seems to ignore
    >> /etc/procmailrc? I've only been using procmail for a few days, after
    >> having used a custom Mail::Audit/Mail::SpamAssassin script for the last
    >> few years. Anyway, in my early efforts with procmail so far, it seems to
    >> see $HOME/.procmailrc files fine but not /etc/procmailrc.
    >>
    >> What I want to achieve is to have /etc/procmailrc call spamd (system
    >> wide), rather than on a user by user basis so that I can use
    >> spamassassin's bayesian filtering on a larger spam/ham base built from all
    >> the users of this system.
    >>
    >> Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Kevin

    > Wouldn't you enable spamassassin in the system wide procmailrc?

    Uh, yes, I would if the system wide procmailrc (/etc/procmailrc) were even
    being used at all - it isn't, which is the point of my post

    > Also, as long as you have a .procmailrc I think that takes precedence.
    > Man procmailrc procmailex and review /usr/doc/procmail../procmailrc
    > examples and the /usr/doc for spamassassin site wide implementation.

    Yes, as it is documented, 1st /etc/procmailrc should be sourced, and then the
    ..procmailrc (if it exists). I tried it with ONLY /etc/procmailrc and it is
    not being used. Hence the source of my confusion and frustration...

    Kevin

  4. Re: procmail + spamassassin

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:16:48 +0000, Kevin Collins thoughtfully wrote:

    > In article , noi wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:14:02 +0000, Kevin Collins thoughtfully wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know why procmail on my FC1 system seems to ignore
    >>> /etc/procmailrc? I've only been using procmail for a few days, after
    >>> having used a custom Mail::Audit/Mail::SpamAssassin script for the last
    >>> few years. Anyway, in my early efforts with procmail so far, it seems
    >>> to see $HOME/.procmailrc files fine but not /etc/procmailrc.
    >>>
    >>> What I want to achieve is to have /etc/procmailrc call spamd (system
    >>> wide), rather than on a user by user basis so that I can use
    >>> spamassassin's bayesian filtering on a larger spam/ham base built from
    >>> all the users of this system.
    >>>
    >>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Kevin

    >> Wouldn't you enable spamassassin in the system wide procmailrc?

    > Uh, yes, I would if the system wide procmailrc (/etc/procmailrc) were even
    > being used at all - it isn't, which is the point of my post
    >
    >> Also, as long as you have a .procmailrc I think that takes precedence.
    >> Man procmailrc procmailex and review /usr/doc/procmail../procmailrc
    >> examples and the /usr/doc for spamassassin site wide implementation.

    > Yes, as it is documented, 1st /etc/procmailrc should be sourced, and then
    > the .procmailrc (if it exists). I tried it with ONLY /etc/procmailrc and
    > it is not being used. Hence the source of my confusion and frustration...
    >
    > Kevin

    How do you know it's not working? Which is not working /etc/procmail or
    spamd/spamc in /etc/procmailrc? If there's an error in the procmailrc
    rules it doesn't work.

+ Reply to Thread