The "tree" command isn't found - Redhat

This is a discussion on The "tree" command isn't found - Redhat ; Sorry I'm cross-posting this, but I'm not sure which newsgroup is appropriate for this question. I'm just starting to learn Linux, using Fedora and reading the "Fedora Unleashed" book published by Sams. Chapter 5 starts discussing command line interface and ...

  1. The "tree" command isn't found

    Sorry I'm cross-posting this, but I'm not sure which newsgroup is
    appropriate for this question.

    I'm just starting to learn Linux, using Fedora and reading the "Fedora
    Unleashed" book published by Sams. Chapter 5 starts discussing command line
    interface and introduces the "tree" command. When I issue this command, the
    system says "command not found". I installed everything that came with the
    DVD (this is Fedora Core 1). So, I decided to install the .rpm package that
    contains this command. I found the .rpm package on the DVD under
    /cdrom/SRPMS/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm

    I tried to install this .rpm package manually (I have never installed one).
    The command I used was:
    rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm

    The system doesn't return any error message. However, when I issue the
    following command:
    rpm -q tree-1.4b3=1.src.rpm

    the system says that the package is not installed.

    I also tried to double-click on the package file from Konqueror, but the
    result is the same.

    So, here are my questions:
    1. Why wasn't this command installed in the first place?
    2. What am I doing wrong when trying to manually install the .rpm file?

    Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: The "tree" command isn't found

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:24:48 -0500 sirozha wrote:

    > So, here are my questions:
    > 1. Why wasn't this command installed in the first place?
    > 2. What am I doing wrong when trying to manually install the .rpm file?

    You installed a SRC.RPM which will not register in the RPM database. It is
    source and not binary.
    Querying the RPM database you give it just the name and not the file name,
    i.e. "rpm -q tree".

    Alexander

    --
    Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
    PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999

  3. Re: The "tree" command isn't found

    "sirozha" wrote in message
    > Sorry I'm cross-posting this, but I'm not sure which newsgroup is
    > appropriate for this question.
    >
    > I'm just starting to learn Linux, using Fedora and reading the "Fedora
    > Unleashed" book published by Sams. Chapter 5 starts discussing command
    > line interface and introduces the "tree" command. When I issue this
    > command, the system says "command not found". I installed everything that
    > came with the DVD (this is Fedora Core 1). So, I decided to install the
    > .rpm package that contains this command. I found the .rpm package on the
    > DVD under /cdrom/SRPMS/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm
    >
    > I tried to install this .rpm package manually (I have never installed
    > one). The command I used was:
    > rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm
    >
    > The system doesn't return any error message. However, when I issue the
    > following command:
    > rpm -q tree-1.4b3=1.src.rpm
    >
    > the system says that the package is not installed.
    >
    > I also tried to double-click on the package file from Konqueror, but the
    > result is the same.
    >
    > So, here are my questions:
    > 1. Why wasn't this command installed in the first place?
    > 2. What am I doing wrong when trying to manually install the .rpm file?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    You installed the source - anything that has "src.rpm" is just the source
    code for the command. Look for the package tree*.rpm without the "src". Also
    try rpm -q tree.

  4. Re: The "tree" command isn't found

    Alexander Dalloz wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:24:48 -0500 sirozha wrote:
    >
    >> So, here are my questions:
    >> 1. Why wasn't this command installed in the first place?
    >> 2. What am I doing wrong when trying to manually install the .rpm file?

    > You installed a SRC.RPM which will not register in the RPM database. It is
    > source and not binary.
    > Querying the RPM database you give it just the name and not the file name,
    > i.e. "rpm -q tree".
    >
    > Alexander

    Or...
    as root:
    # rpmbuild --rebuild /mnt/cdrom/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm
    Then, install the rpm(s) that gets built, you should be able to find
    it(them) in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ or some such.

    # man rpm
    # man rpmbuild

    HTH,
    Tim

    --
    Fedora Core 2, Kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2, KDE 3.3.1, Xorg 6.7.0
    18:50:00 up 6 days, 21:34, 14 users, load average: 0.26, 0.28, 0.13

  5. Re: The "tree" command isn't found

    sirozha wrote:
    > Sorry I'm cross-posting this, but I'm not sure which newsgroup is
    > appropriate for this question.
    >
    > I'm just starting to learn Linux, using Fedora and reading the "Fedora
    > Unleashed" book published by Sams. Chapter 5 starts discussing command line
    > interface and introduces the "tree" command. When I issue this command, the
    > system says "command not found". I installed everything that came with the
    > DVD (this is Fedora Core 1). So, I decided to install the .rpm package that
    > contains this command. I found the .rpm package on the DVD under
    > /cdrom/SRPMS/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm
    >
    > I tried to install this .rpm package manually (I have never installed one).
    > The command I used was:
    > rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/tree-1.4b3-1.src.rpm
    >
    > The system doesn't return any error message. However, when I issue the
    > following command:
    > rpm -q tree-1.4b3=1.src.rpm
    >
    > the system says that the package is not installed.
    >
    > I also tried to double-click on the package file from Konqueror, but the
    > result is the same.
    >
    > So, here are my questions:
    > 1. Why wasn't this command installed in the first place?
    > 2. What am I doing wrong when trying to manually install the .rpm file?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    Xtra info:

    Please visit
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html#mirrors

    Fedora-Core section has some links to additional info as a supplement
    to your book.

    Eg. goto "FedoraNews" site and search for "rpm" , "apt" or "synaptic".

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/OpenOffice.html

+ Reply to Thread