Laptop Linux Screensaver vs USB - Redhat

This is a discussion on Laptop Linux Screensaver vs USB - Redhat ; Hi there, When I am in Red Hat Linux on my laptop using the USB for keyboard and mouse the screensaver comes on in the middle of my typing or mousing. Moving the mouse or typeing a key on the ...

  1. Laptop Linux Screensaver vs USB

    Hi there,
    When I am in Red Hat Linux on my laptop using the USB for keyboard and mouse
    the screensaver comes on in the middle of my typing or mousing.

    Moving the mouse or typeing a key on the USB devices does not re-activeate
    the laptop.

    Only typing a keyboard character on the laptop keyboard will reactivate the
    laptop.

    It can be quite frustrating.

    Is there a way to stop it from doing this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Ross

  2. Re: Laptop Linux Screensaver vs USB

    Ross wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > When I am in Red Hat Linux on my laptop using the USB for keyboard and
    > mouse the screensaver comes on in the middle of my typing or mousing.
    >
    > Moving the mouse or typeing a key on the USB devices does not re-activeate
    > the laptop.
    >
    > Only typing a keyboard character on the laptop keyboard will reactivate
    > the laptop.
    >
    > It can be quite frustrating.
    >
    > Is there a way to stop it from doing this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ross

    Well, the most obvious thing to do would be to disable the screen saver. I
    have never had much use for it myself; if I'm going to to be away from my
    machine for an extended time I just turn the monitor off. Otherwise I don't
    know what else you can do about this annoyance.

  3. Re: Laptop Linux Screensaver vs USB

    It's Red Hat Linux 7.3 with kernel 2.4.20-18.7.
    It's a random screensaver from the Red Hat installation.
    Thanks,
    Ros

    "Bill Marcum" дʼ
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.]
    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:33:44 -0500, Ross
    > wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > > When I am in Red Hat Linux on my laptop using the USB for keyboard and

    mouse
    > > the screensaver comes on in the middle of my typing or mousing.
    > >

    > What version of Red Hat? What kernel? What screensaver?
    >

    > --
    > Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix. Everyone knows power
    > tools aren't soluble in alcohol...
    > -- Crazy Nigel

  4. Re: Laptop Linux Screensaver vs USB

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:33:44 -0500, Ross wrote:

    > When I am in Red Hat Linux on my laptop using the USB for keyboard and mouse
    > the screensaver comes on in the middle of my typing or mousing.

    Not that surprising. The xscreensaver relies on the "xidle"
    functionality of the X11 window system and, it seems, that X11
    doesn't know about your USB devices.

    If you plug in the devices, and then, as root, run:

    # kudzu

    do you get a window offering to configure your USB devices? If so,
    let them get configured and then restart X window. This is more
    than just a logout/login: I mean a full reboot.

    Be sure to leave the USB stuff connected while you reboot.

    HTH.

+ Reply to Thread