Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES - Redhat

This is a discussion on Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES - Redhat ; I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350. RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T. SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID. I believe the tape ...

  1. Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350.
    RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T.
    SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID.
    I believe the tape to be 80 MBytes/sec.

    Do/can/should I change the 29160LP speed on the SCSI
    Bios from 160 to 80? I would have thought it auto-negotiated.
    Dell has some firmware upgrades for download. Should I try one?

    I tried with built in drivers then
    I tried aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3.i686.rpm from adaptec; then
    I erased it and installed aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686.rpm.

    I believe everything to be properly cabled and terminated.
    The drive previously worked on a W2K Dell PowerEdge 2650.

  2. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    In article <_Jwid.998$gC6.237@fe39.usenetserver.com>, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    > I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350.
    > RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T.
    > SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID.
    > I believe the tape to be 80 MBytes/sec.

    Please post the relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages upon bootup.
    Also, post the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', 'lsmod', and
    'cat /etc/modules.conf'.

    > I tried with built in drivers then
    > I tried aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3.i686.rpm from adaptec; then
    > I erased it and installed aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686.rpm.

    The builtin drivers should be just fine.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering

  3. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    > In article <_Jwid.998$gC6.237@fe39.usenetserver.com>, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    >
    >>I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350.
    >>RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T.
    >>SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID.
    >>I believe the tape to be 80 MBytes/sec.

    > Please post the relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages upon bootup.
    > Also, post the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', 'lsmod', and
    > 'cat /etc/modules.conf'.

    =========Begin /var/log/messages Excerpt Added some CR for line
    wrap=================
    Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/
    parport/parport_pc.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

    Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
    incorrect
    module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

    Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/
    parport/parport_pc.o: insmod parport_lowlevel failed

    Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan kernel: lp: driver loaded but no devices found
    Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
    char-major-188
    Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan last message repeated 15 times
    Nov 4 15:11:08 sylvan cups: cupsd startup succeeded
    ============End /var/log/messages Excerpt============================

    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Nov 5 10:45 /proc/scsi/scsi
    Is being updated every minute. Has no contents.

    =================begin lsmod output======================
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    soundcore 6372 0 (autoclean)
    ide-cd 33920 0 (autoclean)
    cdrom 32096 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
    lp 8932 0 (autoclean)
    parport 36800 0 (autoclean) [lp]
    autofs4 15896 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    e100 56880 1
    floppy 56592 0 (autoclean)
    sg 36140 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    scsi_mod 105896 1 (autoclean) [sg]
    microcode 5656 0 (autoclean)
    keybdev 2944 0 (unused)
    mousedev 5492 1
    hid 22084 0 (unused)
    input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
    usb-uhci 25836 0 (unused)
    usbcore 77280 1 [hid usb-uhci]
    ext3 85704 3
    jbd 50572 3 [ext3]
    =================end lsmod output=========================

    ===============Begin /etc/modules.conf====================
    alias eth0 e100
    alias eth1 e100
    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
    ================End
    /etc/modules.conf===========================[rey@bazoline rey

    >>I tried with built in drivers then
    >>I tried aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3.i686.rpm from adaptec; then
    >>I erased it and installed aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686.rpm.

    > The builtin drivers should be just fine.

    I have erased aix7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686
    What could that qu2 stand for?

    Thank you for looking at this for me.

  4. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    > Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    >
    >> In article <_Jwid.998$gC6.237@fe39.usenetserver.com>, Reynolds
    >> McClatchey wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350.
    >>> RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T.
    >>> SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID.
    >>> I believe the tape to be 80 MBytes/sec.

    >> Please post the relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages upon bootup.
    >> Also, post the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', 'lsmod', and
    >> 'cat /etc/modules.conf'.

    > =========Begin /var/log/messages Excerpt Added some CR for line
    > wrap=================
    > Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/
    > parport/parport_pc.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    >
    > Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
    > incorrect
    > module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    > You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    >
    > Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/
    > parport/parport_pc.o: insmod parport_lowlevel failed
    >
    > Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan kernel: lp: driver loaded but no devices found
    > Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
    > char-major-188
    > Nov 4 15:11:07 sylvan last message repeated 15 times
    > Nov 4 15:11:08 sylvan cups: cupsd startup succeeded
    > ============End /var/log/messages Excerpt============================

    On second look, the above looks like parallel port (irrelevant).
    I find nothing about scsi in /var/log/messages.

    > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Nov 5 10:45 /proc/scsi/scsi
    > Is being updated every minute. Has no contents.
    >
    > =================begin lsmod output======================
    > Module Size Used by Not tainted
    > soundcore 6372 0 (autoclean)
    > ide-cd 33920 0 (autoclean)
    > cdrom 32096 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
    > lp 8932 0 (autoclean)
    > parport 36800 0 (autoclean) [lp]
    > autofs4 15896 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    > e100 56880 1
    > floppy 56592 0 (autoclean)
    > sg 36140 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    > scsi_mod 105896 1 (autoclean) [sg]
    > microcode 5656 0 (autoclean)
    > keybdev 2944 0 (unused)
    > mousedev 5492 1
    > hid 22084 0 (unused)
    > input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
    > usb-uhci 25836 0 (unused)
    > usbcore 77280 1 [hid usb-uhci]
    > ext3 85704 3
    > jbd 50572 3 [ext3]
    > =================end lsmod output=========================
    >
    > ===============Begin /etc/modules.conf====================
    > alias eth0 e100
    > alias eth1 e100
    > alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    > alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
    > ================End
    > /etc/modules.conf===========================[rey@bazoline rey
    >

    >>> I tried with built in drivers then
    >>> I tried aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3.i686.rpm from adaptec; then
    >>> I erased it and installed aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686.rpm.

    >> The builtin drivers should be just fine.

    > I have erased aix7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686
    > What could that qu2 stand for?
    >
    > Thank you for looking at this for me.

  5. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    > In article <_Jwid.998$gC6.237@fe39.usenetserver.com>, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    >
    >>I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350.
    >>RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T.
    >>SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID.
    >>I believe the tape to be 80 MBytes/sec.

    > Please post the relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages upon bootup.
    > Also, post the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', 'lsmod', and
    > 'cat /etc/modules.conf'.
    >

    >>I tried with built in drivers then
    >>I tried aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3.i686.rpm from adaptec; then
    >>I erased it and installed aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686.rpm.

    > The builtin drivers should be just fine.

    Selecting a different SCSI speed made no difference.

    The boot up screen "SCSiSelect" shows the tape drive on the
    correct SCSI ID. I just need to get RedHat to realize.
    My RH 9 box shows "Tapes" in the hardware browser with the correct
    tape. How can I push the RHEL 3 to recognize the tape?

  6. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    In article , Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    > Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    >> In article <_Jwid.998$gC6.237@fe39.usenetserver.com>, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    >>
    >>>I installed an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI card in a dell Poweredge 350.
    >>>RedHat detects the card but not the tape drive - Dell PowerVault 112T.
    >>>SCSI Bios shows the correct tape drive and correct SCSI ID.
    >>>I believe the tape to be 80 MBytes/sec.

    >> Please post the relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages upon bootup.
    >> Also, post the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', 'lsmod', and
    >> 'cat /etc/modules.conf'.
    >>

    >>>I tried with built in drivers then
    >>>I tried aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3.i686.rpm from adaptec; then
    >>>I erased it and installed aic7xxx-6.3.9-rhel3qu2.i686.rpm.

    >> The builtin drivers should be just fine.
    >>

    > Selecting a different SCSI speed made no difference.
    >
    > The boot up screen "SCSiSelect" shows the tape drive on the
    > correct SCSI ID. I just need to get RedHat to realize.
    > My RH 9 box shows "Tapes" in the hardware browser with the correct
    > tape. How can I push the RHEL 3 to recognize the tape?

    It'd be a lot easier to answer your question if you'd answer the
    questions I asked.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering
    Duke University

  7. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 11:10:34 -0500, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:

    > Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    >> In article <_Jwid.998$gC6.237@fe39.usenetserver.com>, Reynolds McClatchey wrote:

    > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Nov 5 10:45 /proc/scsi/scsi
    > Is being updated every minute. Has no contents.

    He asked for the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', not
    'ls -l /proc/scsi/scsi'. ls always shows a size of zero for
    that file regardless of its content.

  8. Re: Need SCSI Tape on RHEL 3 ES

    Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    > In article , Reynolds McClatchey wrote:
    >
    >>Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

    >>>Please post the relevant excerpts from /var/log/messages upon bootup.
    >>>Also, post the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', 'lsmod', and
    >>>'cat /etc/modules.conf'.

    >>>The builtin drivers should be just fine.
    >>>

    >>Selecting a different SCSI speed made no difference.
    >>
    >>The boot up screen "SCSiSelect" shows the tape drive on the
    >>correct SCSI ID. I just need to get RedHat to realize.
    >>My RH 9 box shows "Tapes" in the hardware browser with the correct
    >>tape. How can I push the RHEL 3 to recognize the tape?

    > It'd be a lot easier to answer your question if you'd answer the
    > questions I asked.

    Wish I could continue the thread, but I had to bail out and move
    the card and drive to a windows box.

    Thanks for everyone's help.

+ Reply to Thread