vsftpd and ldap - Redhat

This is a discussion on vsftpd and ldap - Redhat ; I have a RHEL 3 AS server that is currently authenticating via LDAP to another server. This works without issue. I'm using pam_mkhomedir.so to create new home directories each time a user logs in for the first time. The home ...

  1. vsftpd and ldap

    I have a RHEL 3 AS server that is currently authenticating via LDAP to
    another server. This works without issue. I'm using pam_mkhomedir.so to
    create new home directories each time a user logs in for the first time.
    The home directories get created without issue if I log in via
    SSH/GNOME/Telnet but will NOT get created if I login via FTP. If a user
    logs in (and has not logged in ever before, which means there is no home
    directory) the FTP session fails because there is no home directory. I'm
    using vsftpd as my ftp server. So I basically want to have any user on my
    LDAP server able to FTP into this box and have their home directory
    created. I've edited /etc/pam.d/login (although pam_makehomedir.so
    doesn't seem to work here), /etc/pam.d/system-auth (after changing this,
    everything works but FTP, for pam_mkhomedir.so), and /etc/pam.d/vsftpd
    (this file has no effect). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

  2. Re: vsftpd and ldap

    Greg wrote:

    > I have a RHEL 3 AS server that is currently authenticating via LDAP to
    > another server. This works without issue. I'm using pam_mkhomedir.so to
    > create new home directories each time a user logs in for the first time.
    > The home directories get created without issue if I log in via
    > SSH/GNOME/Telnet but will NOT get created if I login via FTP. If a user
    > logs in (and has not logged in ever before, which means there is no home
    > directory) the FTP session fails because there is no home directory. I'm
    > using vsftpd as my ftp server. So I basically want to have any user on my
    > LDAP server able to FTP into this box and have their home directory
    > created. I've edited /etc/pam.d/login (although pam_makehomedir.so
    > doesn't seem to work here), /etc/pam.d/system-auth (after changing this,
    > everything works but FTP, for pam_mkhomedir.so), and /etc/pam.d/vsftpd
    > (this file has no effect). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

    Some version of ftp server may default to / if $HOME is not found. I
    know Solaris9 built-in FTP server behaves in this way, even with LDAP acct.

    Does vsftpd has an option of default to /?

    Gary

  3. Re: vsftpd and ldap

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
[...]
    I have the exact same problem...so if u have a solution....please please please...share

  4. Re: vsftpd and ldap

    I anyone is still interested I had the same problem and solved it by adding:

    session_support=YES

    to /etc/vsftpd.conf

+ Reply to Thread