trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem - Redhat

This is a discussion on trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem - Redhat ; I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip address with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at: http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HO...iguration.html these are fairly obvious and should work for any dhcp environment. it works when i ...

  1. trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip address
    with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at:

    http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HO...iguration.html

    these are fairly obvious and should work for any dhcp environment. it works
    when i use a router/NAT as the dhcp server but not when i try to connect
    directly to the cable modem. the same machine will receive an ip address
    from the cable modem using windows xp.what could be the problem? i ran
    dhclient directly and it tells me its sending DHCPDISCOVER messages but
    receives no DHCPOFFER messages. any help is greatly appreciated.

    --
    Gary Roach
    ADB Services

  2. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:23:56 -0400, Gary Roach wrote:
    > I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip address
    > with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HO...iguration.html
    >
    > these are fairly obvious and should work for any dhcp environment. it works
    > when i use a router/NAT as the dhcp server but not when i try to connect
    > directly to the cable modem.

    When you get a lease on your XP box, try clicking up _cmd_ and doing a
    ipconfig /release

    Anytime you change the device connected to a cable modem, power off
    the cable modem for at least 15 seconds by your watch.

  3. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    Gary Roach wrote:
    > I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip address
    > with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HO...iguration.html
    >
    > these are fairly obvious and should work for any dhcp environment. it works
    > when i use a router/NAT as the dhcp server but not when i try to connect
    > directly to the cable modem. the same machine will receive an ip address
    > from the cable modem using windows xp.what could be the problem? i ran
    > dhclient directly and it tells me its sending DHCPDISCOVER messages but
    > receives no DHCPOFFER messages. any help is greatly appreciated.

    My guess... 1) is the Nic card working ? (and seen by Linux)
    2) is the cable modem all green ? (working)

    If the Nic is ok, then try unplugging power from the cable modem &
    as all its green lights come on run dhclient. WAIT for reply !
    If the above does not work you have a cable modem or line problem.

    Kahn

  4. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    > Gary Roach wrote:
    > > I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip address
    > > with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at:
    >> it works
    > > when i use a router/NAT as the dhcp server but not when i try to connect
    > > directly to the cable modem. the same machine will receive an ip address
    > > from the cable modem using windows xp.what could be the problem?

    The most likely reason for it working under WinXP but not directly, is
    that WinXP has a PPoE (or PPoA) driver installed (that seems to the
    default for most cableco supplied setups), but you do not have an
    equivalent in Linux, so it will not work directly connected to the
    'cable modem'. Most routers are set up to do that in hardware so you
    should be able to get it working.

    Possibilities: a) the NIC is not set up properly under Linux...it is
    not talking to the router.
    If you can use Mozilla to access the router's config page (using
    http://192.168.1.1 or whatever the default address is) then the NIC
    is working.

    b) the NIC is set to a *static* address in Linux but the address is
    outside the range that the router works in. (The NIC is set to
    10.0.0.xx while the router is 192.168.1.xx...)

    The fact that it works under WinXP proves that the hardware is
    capable, but does not help actually in tracking down the config
    errors. In config terms, these might as well be 2 completely different
    boxes.

    For tracking down errors, the best method is to set the computer to a
    static IP. If it can then 'see' the router, you know that thje
    config/hardware combo is set up correctly. THEN change it to DHCP if
    you want. If you can see the router, but can't get any further, start
    by using another computer (laptop) and see if you can ping the static
    address of the first box *through* the router. This also helps for
    checking your cabling when you are re-arranging things. Then go back
    and check that you have the gateway and DNS IP addresses properly set
    up... Then power cycle the router and cable-modem to refresh things.

    Geoff

  5. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    I think your idea about PPPoE is the most likely problem. I'm looking for
    info on this. I might try installing Roaring Penguin.

    thanks

    "R. G. Newbury" wrote in message
    >> Gary Roach wrote:
    >> > I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip
    >> > address
    >> > with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at:
    >>> it works
    >> > when i use a router/NAT as the dhcp server but not when i try to
    >> > connect
    >> > directly to the cable modem. the same machine will receive an ip
    >> > address
    >> > from the cable modem using windows xp.what could be the problem?

    > The most likely reason for it working under WinXP but not directly, is
    > that WinXP has a PPoE (or PPoA) driver installed (that seems to the
    > default for most cableco supplied setups), but you do not have an
    > equivalent in Linux, so it will not work directly connected to the
    > 'cable modem'. Most routers are set up to do that in hardware so you
    > should be able to get it working.
    >
    > Possibilities: a) the NIC is not set up properly under Linux...it is
    > not talking to the router.
    > If you can use Mozilla to access the router's config page (using
    > http://192.168.1.1 or whatever the default address is) then the NIC
    > is working.
    >
    > b) the NIC is set to a *static* address in Linux but the address is
    > outside the range that the router works in. (The NIC is set to
    > 10.0.0.xx while the router is 192.168.1.xx...)
    >
    > The fact that it works under WinXP proves that the hardware is
    > capable, but does not help actually in tracking down the config
    > errors. In config terms, these might as well be 2 completely different
    > boxes.
    >
    > For tracking down errors, the best method is to set the computer to a
    > static IP. If it can then 'see' the router, you know that thje
    > config/hardware combo is set up correctly. THEN change it to DHCP if
    > you want. If you can see the router, but can't get any further, start
    > by using another computer (laptop) and see if you can ping the static
    > address of the first box *through* the router. This also helps for
    > checking your cabling when you are re-arranging things. Then go back
    > and check that you have the gateway and DNS IP addresses properly set
    > up... Then power cycle the router and cable-modem to refresh things.
    >
    > Geoff

  6. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    "Gary Roach" wrote in message
    > I think your idea about PPPoE is the most likely problem. I'm looking for
    > info on this. I might try installing Roaring Penguin.
    >
    > thanks

    I've never heard of PPPoE on a cable modem. The only place I've seen PPPeE
    are in DSL/ADSL modems.

    Randy

  7. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:28:03 UTC, "Randy McLaughlin"
    wrote:

    > "Gary Roach" wrote in message
    > > I think your idea about PPPoE is the most likely problem. I'm looking for
    > > info on this. I might try installing Roaring Penguin.
    > >
    > > thanks

    > I've never heard of PPPoE on a cable modem. The only place I've seen PPPeE
    > are in DSL/ADSL modems.

    I've never *heard* of it either. Then again, I've never heard that
    cable modems *don't* use PPoE... I have no idea. I do know that most
    cableco's and DSL providers, give you their own CD of software, which
    is always wincrap and nothing more. What is actually included,
    generally the tech support people do NOT know...

    And there is a good possibility that there is some specialized driver
    needed to make the thing work.....AND it is most likely specific to
    the cableco.... they seem to delight in being 'unique'... probably in
    an attempt to defeat program theft....

    Geoff

  8. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    R. G. Newbury wrote:

    > I've never heard of it either. Then again, I've never heard that
    > cable modems don't use PPoE... I have no idea.

    Don't get out much, do ya? ;-)

    --

    (This space intentionally left blank)

  9. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    "Gary Roach" wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to get RH9 to work with a cable modem. i can't get an ip address
    > with dhcp. i've followed the instructions at:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HO...iguration.html
    >
    > these are fairly obvious and should work for any dhcp environment. it works
    > when i use a router/NAT as the dhcp server but not when i try to connect
    > directly to the cable modem. the same machine will receive an ip address
    > from the cable modem using windows xp.what could be the problem? i ran
    > dhclient directly and it tells me its sending DHCPDISCOVER messages but
    > receives no DHCPOFFER messages. any help is greatly appreciated.

    Most cable companies that I am aware of use mac address registration
    to hand out IPs via DHCP, meaning they wnat to know the mac address of
    your machine.

    If you've run XP directly connected to the cable modem maybe they have
    sone something to spoof the mac address on the XP side. Check the mac
    address as reported in linux ifconfig against XP. If the XP mac is
    different you aren't going to get an IP directly connected in linux
    unless you spoof the mac address as well.

  10. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    Question:

    I just installed Red Hat 9 on my laptop, and I can't get the OS to see
    my Cox Internet connection.

    1. I have connection on my W2000 desktop. It works.

    2. When the internet connection button on the console stayed in red
    and showed no connection I went to the Network Configuration window
    and searched through the "eth0" device tabs and left it as it was,
    when did not work I created other ethernet device configurations under
    "eth1" and eth2" making different choices to see if one would work.
    All the device choices I chose gave me a:

    " can not activate network device .... "

    Determining IP information for eth0 ....SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign
    requested address SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
    failed.

    Any help on this matter will be much appreciated,

    Adolfo

  11. Re: trouble getting RH9 to work with cable modem

    "Adolfo" wrote in message
    news:91de052a.0411101957.4ba8c6b0@posting.google.c om...
    > Question:
    >
    > I just installed Red Hat 9 on my laptop, and I can't get the OS to see
    > my Cox Internet connection.
    >
    > 1. I have connection on my W2000 desktop. It works.
    >
    > 2. When the internet connection button on the console stayed in red
    > and showed no connection I went to the Network Configuration window
    > and searched through the "eth0" device tabs and left it as it was,
    > when did not work I created other ethernet device configurations under
    > "eth1" and eth2" making different choices to see if one would work.
    > All the device choices I chose gave me a:
    >
    > " can not activate network device .... "
    >
    > Determining IP information for eth0 ....SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign
    > requested address SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
    > failed.
    >
    > Any help on this matter will be much appreciated,
    >
    > Adolfo

    On cable modems you must unplug it from power for at least 15 seconds to
    reset the modem when you switch from one computer to another. Also verify
    ethernet nettings (DHCP, etc).

    Consider buying a router so multiple computers can access the internet.

    I highly recomend using named to speed up internet access.

    Randy

+ Reply to Thread