How do i install a wireless pcmcia card RH9 GNOME - Redhat

This is a discussion on How do i install a wireless pcmcia card RH9 GNOME - Redhat ; I have done a fresh install of RH9 on a compaq armada m700. I have a gigafast wf721-aex 802.11b pcmcia card. I have downloaded the (linux)drivers from the gigafast site for rh9. Here are the contents of that download: Makefile ...

  1. How do i install a wireless pcmcia card RH9 GNOME

    I have done a fresh install of RH9 on a compaq armada m700. I have a
    gigafast wf721-aex 802.11b pcmcia card. I have downloaded the
    (linux)drivers from the gigafast site for rh9.
    Here are the contents of that download:

    Makefile
    priv_part.o
    r8180_export.h
    r8180_if.c
    r8180_if.h
    r8180_pci_init.c
    r8180_pci_init.h
    r8180_type.h
    readme
    rls_note_1124
    rtl8180_24x.o
    wlandown
    wlandrv_release_note
    wlanup

    I have no clue what these file represent or what to do with them. Is
    there somewhere out there that walks me through this process?

    I have read the readme ( i should say, i read the words and didnt
    understand what to do from step 1).

    It says "make sure you specify INCLUDEPATH" but i am not sure what
    that should look like. Here is the example they give:
    FOR EXAMPLE, " INCLUDEPATH=-I /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include/ " in
    RedHat8.0.

    Where do i do this?
    What is the "Makefile" and how do i know what to edit and what to
    leave alone?

    Can anyone help in terms i can understand? I have read the readme file
    and tried to find help online but everything i read seems to be a step
    ahead of what i can understand.

  2. Re: How do i install a wireless pcmcia card RH9 GNOME

    bradford@hennon.net (Bradley Hennon) wrote in message news:...
    > I have done a fresh install of RH9 on a compaq armada m700. I have a
    > gigafast wf721-aex 802.11b pcmcia card. I have downloaded the
    > (linux)drivers from the gigafast site for rh9.
    > Here are the contents of that download:
    >
    > Makefile
    > priv_part.o
    > r8180_export.h
    > r8180_if.c
    > r8180_if.h
    > r8180_pci_init.c
    > r8180_pci_init.h
    > r8180_type.h
    > readme
    > rls_note_1124
    > rtl8180_24x.o
    > wlandown
    > wlandrv_release_note
    > wlanup
    >
    > I have no clue what these file represent or what to do with them. Is
    > there somewhere out there that walks me through this process?
    >
    > I have read the readme ( i should say, i read the words and didnt
    > understand what to do from step 1).
    >
    > It says "make sure you specify INCLUDEPATH" but i am not sure what
    > that should look like. Here is the example they give:
    > FOR EXAMPLE, " INCLUDEPATH=-I /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include/ " in
    > RedHat8.0.
    >
    > Where do i do this?
    > What is the "Makefile" and how do i know what to edit and what to
    > leave alone?
    >

    > Can anyone help in terms i can understand? I have read the readme file
    > and tried to find help online but everything i read seems to be a step
    > ahead of what i can understand.

    I ran make and make install after making changes to the makefile but
    get an error when i try and add the network card. Hardware is not
    responding.

    any thoughts

+ Reply to Thread