Dual boot problem - hangs at "grub" - help! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Dual boot problem - hangs at "grub" - help! - Redhat ; Hi guys, i'm totally lost here:- My laptop has windows XP and Rhat7.0 dual boot partitions. Although I has set the default boot to be Windows XP, my laptop now tries to boot from RedHat and gets stuck at "grub". ...

  1. Dual boot problem - hangs at "grub" - help!

    Hi guys, i'm totally lost here:-

    My laptop has windows XP and Rhat7.0 dual boot partitions.

    Although I has set the default boot to be Windows XP, my laptop now tries
    to boot from RedHat and gets stuck at "grub".

    I have no idea what to do next. Any pointers appreciated!

    Ravindra

  2. Re: Dual boot problem - hangs at "grub" - help!

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:19:10 -0700, ravi wrote:

    > Hi guys, i'm totally lost here:-
    >
    > My laptop has windows XP and Rhat7.0 dual boot partitions.
    >
    > Although I has set the default boot to be Windows XP, my laptop now tries
    > to boot from RedHat and gets stuck at "grub".
    >
    > I have no idea what to do next. Any pointers appreciated!
    >
    > Ravindra

    See the first bullet under Troubleshooting on this page:

    http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html

    HTH,

    Marc Schwartz

  3. Re: Dual boot problem - hangs at "grub" - help!

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:19:10 -0700, ravi wrote:

    > Hi guys, i'm totally lost here:-
    >
    > My laptop has windows XP and Rhat7.0 dual boot partitions.
    >
    > Although I has set the default boot to be Windows XP, my laptop now
    > tries to boot from RedHat and gets stuck at "grub".
    >
    > I have no idea what to do next. Any pointers appreciated!
    >
    > Ravindra

    Caveat: I am not using Windows XP.

    Have you just changed something about your setup?

    If your system is unbootable using the hard disk, it's time to get out the
    rescue disks. You need a boot floppy or a rescue CD to access your
    gnu/linux system. Based upon the very limited amount of information you
    have provided, it appears you have changed something which has broken
    grub.

    Provide this information from your system (and anything else you think is
    relevant):
    grub.conf
    /etc/fstab
    fdisk -l /dev/hda

    --
    Ripley: And you let him in.
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/quotes

  4. Re: Dual boot problem - hangs at "grub" - help!

    ravi wrote:

    > Hi guys, i'm totally lost here:-
    >
    > My laptop has windows XP and Rhat7.0 dual boot partitions.
    >
    > Although I has set the default boot to be Windows XP, my laptop now tries
    > to boot from RedHat and gets stuck at "grub".
    >
    > I have no idea what to do next. Any pointers appreciated!
    >
    > Ravindra

    Grub is not part of Redhat, it is the boot manager. From Grub you can
    boot any kind of OS.

    Are you in a Grub empty menu or at a Grub prompt? In both case this
    could mean that the menu.lst (or grub.conf) file has not been found or
    is invalid.

    The first step is to make sure you reach the Grub prompt (grub>). If you
    are in the menu you can type C to get the prompt.

    From the Grub promt you can manually boot a partition. The online
    manual has a lot of examples:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

    First you set the root, then you either locate the kernel or you give
    control to another bootloader using the chainloader command. See the manual.

    Note: use "boot" as the last command.

    But if you can't reach the console, if you see only "GRUB" at the top of
    the screen and no keyboard input is working, it means that you installed
    Grub on the MBR and deleted the /boot/grub/ files. At this point you'll
    have to use a bootdisk to access your hd (Grub bootdisk are easy to
    create, see the online manual).

    You can also wipe Grub and boot in Windows only. Use a Windows bootdisk
    and run either fdisk /mbr (if the C: is FAT32) or get in the recovery
    console and type fixmbr then fixboot (if the C: is NTFS). To load RH
    you'll then need a RH or Grub bootdisk.

    --
    LucM

    Visit your friends