AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1 - Redhat

This is a discussion on AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1 - Redhat ; I'm an old newbie trying to install Linux for the first time on an AMD K6 box, using Fedora Core1 (publisher's edition). Using the graphical install utility, I got almost to the point where it asks you to select which ...

  1. AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1

    I'm an old newbie trying to install Linux for the first time on an AMD K6
    box, using Fedora Core1 (publisher's edition). Using the graphical install
    utility, I got almost to the point where it asks you to select which
    packages to install (I'd chosen to do a custom install earlier) when after
    about 10 minutes of a rotating hourglass icon I was informed that "You are
    trying to install on a machine that isn't supported by this version of the
    Fedora core". How can I identify which device upset the installer ? Would
    it be sensible to remove my SCSI, Firewire and USB PCI cards and try again ?

    Thanks,

    Pete K

  2. Re: AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:22:13 +0100, Billly Pig wrote:

    > I'm an old newbie trying to install Linux for the first time on an AMD K6
    > box, using Fedora Core1 (publisher's edition). Using the graphical install
    > utility, I got almost to the point where it asks you to select which
    > packages to install (I'd chosen to do a custom install earlier) when after
    > about 10 minutes of a rotating hourglass icon I was informed that "You are
    > trying to install on a machine that isn't supported by this version of the
    > Fedora core". How can I identify which device upset the installer ? Would
    > it be sensible to remove my SCSI, Firewire and USB PCI cards and try again ?

    I'm pretty sure that message indicates that Fedora doesn't like the CPU.
    If if were one of the peripherals you see different error messages.
    --
    The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

  3. Re: AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1

    Billly Pig wrote:
    > I'm an old newbie trying to install Linux for the first time on an AMD K6
    > box, using Fedora Core1 (publisher's edition). Using the graphical install
    > utility, I got almost to the point where it asks you to select which
    > packages to install (I'd chosen to do a custom install earlier) when after
    > about 10 minutes of a rotating hourglass icon I was informed that "You are
    > trying to install on a machine that isn't supported by this version of the
    > Fedora core". How can I identify which device upset the installer ? Would
    > it be sensible to remove my SCSI, Firewire and USB PCI cards and try again ?

    Probably the CPU. More probably the libc not compiled for Pentium P5 and
    requires P6/686/Athlon.

    --
    bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
    Project Leader, USENET news

  4. Re: AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1

    Having established that my RAM configuration (96Mb) was less than the
    recommedned minimum, I persevered using the Text Mode install, but this time
    using red hat linux 9. This got me quite a lot further - to the point where
    it was 98% through the package installation, and then it aborted "Signal 11
    received". The install procedure suggested that I should be able to reboot,
    but I was unable to do so. When I ran partition Magic from a windows
    partition, it complained that the CHK values were incorrect, but said it
    could fix them. This didn't help, but at least it stopped PMgc complaining.
    I tried installing the bootloader into the MBR, but PMc didn't like that at
    all - it refused to run. From DOS mode it said that the partition was bad -
    error 114 (not documented in the PMgc book).

    One other issue I had throughout was that the first attempt at loading the
    boot image to disk always failed. Usually the 2nd or 3rd attempt was
    successful. The install program suggested that the disk might be full (it
    wasn't), but I suspect that something timeout waiting for the CD drive to
    get up to speed.

    So I gave up, and installed Fedora on my newer machine. It installed 1st
    time, but I had of course had lots of practice by then. I will no doubt
    have another go, but first I'll have a play with Linux - which was the
    original goal. The desktop does look very good.

    Thanks for your suggestions,

    Pete K

  5. Re: AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1

    "Billly Pig" wrote in message
    > I'm an old newbie trying to install Linux for the first time on an AMD K6
    > box, using Fedora Core1 (publisher's edition). Using the graphical
    > install
    > utility, I got almost to the point where it asks you to select which
    > packages to install (I'd chosen to do a custom install earlier) when after
    > about 10 minutes of a rotating hourglass icon I was informed that "You are
    > trying to install on a machine that isn't supported by this version of the
    > Fedora core". How can I identify which device upset the installer ?
    > Would
    > it be sensible to remove my SCSI, Firewire and USB PCI cards and try again
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pete K

    I have Fedora Core 2 running on an old Asus P55T2P4 board with 256K RAM and
    a PowerLeap Pro-MMX (AMD K6/400 processor)
    It works fine, I only get one failure during bootup - but keeps right on
    going - not the fastest - but it does run !

    gb

  6. Re: AMD K6 266 Support in Fedora Core 1

    "G.Beat" wrote in message
    > I have Fedora Core 2 running on an old Asus P55T2P4 board with 256K RAM

    and
    > a PowerLeap Pro-MMX (AMD K6/400 processor)

    Well maybe I should upgrade to a 400 Mhz speed demon then ? ;-)

    Joking aside, thanks for the comment. I think I'll give it anothger go when
    I've learned a bit more about Linux - I hate to see a machine sitting there
    unused when only a few years ago it was my pride & joy, well OK, maybe
    that's going to far..

    Pete K

+ Reply to Thread