FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem - Redhat ; Hello, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this question but I thought I'd give it a go... I recently downloaded the FC2 binaries from the Fedora site and attempted to upgrade my FC1 installation. The upgrade ...

  1. FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem

    Hello,

    I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this question but I
    thought I'd give it a go...

    I recently downloaded the FC2 binaries from the Fedora site and
    attempted to upgrade my FC1 installation. The upgrade failed with a
    kernel panic: "In interrupt handler not synching"

    My hardware is as follows:

    845E Intel Chipset with AGP
    1.8 GHz Intel P4
    1GB RAM
    2 x 40GB Maxtor IDE drives
    AGP Radeon 8500 Video card

    I've searched the web, the Fedora and Red Hat sites with no luck on the
    issue.

    Thanks for any and all responses.

    John

  2. Re: FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem

    John Dubchak wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this question but I
    > thought I'd give it a go...
    >
    > I recently downloaded the FC2 binaries from the Fedora site and
    > attempted to upgrade my FC1 installation. The upgrade failed with a
    > kernel panic: "In interrupt handler not synching"

    Bummer!

    When you say you "downloaded the FC2 binaries from the Fedora site"
    what do you mean? Just the RPMS? Did you download the ISOs make a boot
    disk or CD set and go through the regular install/upgrade process?
    The usual method(s) for an upgrade are quite diverse:

    1. Download ISOs, burn to CD (or DVD), reboot with CD1 in drive. DO
    NOT skip the media check step.

    2. Download a boot.iso, burn to CD, reboot to CD, upgrade from an HTTP
    or FTP mirror over the local network or internet. (This is what I do).

    3. Point your yum.conf file to the FC2 repositories, type yum update
    at a root prompt.

    4.....

    > My hardware is as follows:
    >
    > 845E Intel Chipset with AGP
    > 1.8 GHz Intel P4
    > 1GB RAM
    > 2 x 40GB Maxtor IDE drives
    > AGP Radeon 8500 Video card
    >
    > I've searched the web, the Fedora and Red Hat sites with no luck on the
    > issue.

    Thanks for posting your hardware specs but we need to know the exact
    method you are using to do the upgrade.

    -DU-...etc...

  3. Re: FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem

    utidjian wrote:

    > When you say you "downloaded the FC2 binaries from the Fedora site"
    > what do you mean? Just the RPMS?

    I performed step #1 from below. I downloaded the ISO's, burned to CD,
    then rebooted with CD1 in drive.

    > 1. Download ISOs, burn to CD (or DVD), reboot with CD1 in drive. DO
    > NOT skip the media check step.

    After doing the above, I pressed enter at the prompt to start a new
    installation/upgrade in graphical mode. Then I get the kernel panic
    described.

    Thanks,
    John

  4. Re: FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem

    John Dubchak wrote:

    > After doing the above, I pressed enter at the prompt to start a new
    > installation/upgrade in graphical mode. Then I get the kernel panic
    > described.

    I would try booting in text mode (answer "linux text" to the boot prompt).
    There are problems with the ATI driver.

    But if you can install in text mode,
    "system-config-display" may give a valid xorg.conf .

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  5. Re: FC1 to FC2 upgrade problem

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > John Dubchak wrote:
    >

    >>After doing the above, I pressed enter at the prompt to start a new
    >>installation/upgrade in graphical mode. Then I get the kernel panic
    >>described.

    > I would try booting in text mode (answer "linux text" to the boot prompt).
    > There are problems with the ATI driver.

    Or boot using the vesafb driver. VESA interface is easily fast enough
    for install.

    --
    bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
    Project Leader, USENET news