Solution: mplayer crash wmv files in fedora - Redhat

This is a discussion on Solution: mplayer crash wmv files in fedora - Redhat ; Solution is over here: http://heliosj.iddings.us/wordpress/index.php?p=153 I am pasting it so that it gets archived: Fedora Core - mplayer WMV 9 crashes — Jeff @ [8:00pm EDT] For the last several months.. when I would try to play files encoded for ...

  1. Solution: mplayer crash wmv files in fedora

    Solution is over here:
    http://heliosj.iddings.us/wordpress/index.php?p=153

    I am pasting it so that it gets archived:

    Fedora Core - mplayer WMV 9 crashes
    — Jeff @ [8:00pm EDT]

    For the last several months.. when I would try to play files encoded
    for Windows Media Player 9, mplayer would seg fault. After weeks of
    searching, I finally found this on mplayerhq.hu:

    There is a bad interaction on Fedora between exec-shield, prelink, and
    any applications which use Windows DLLs (such as MPlayer).

    The problem is that exec-shield randomizes the load addresses of all
    the system libraries. This randomization happens at prelink time (once
    every two weeks).

    When MPlayer tries to load a Windows DLL it wants to put it at a
    specific address (0x400000). If an important system library happens to
    be there already, MPlayer will crash. (A typical symptom would be a
    segmentation fault when trying to play Windows Media 9 files.)

    To fix this problem, do this.. or check the mplayer cvs tree for
    updates.

    1. Edit /etc/syconfig/prelink and change

    PRELINK_OPTS=-mR
    PRELINK_OPTS="-mR –no-exec-shield"

    2. touch /var/lib/misc/prelink.force

    3. /etc/cron.daily/prelink
    This relinks all the applications, and it takes quite a while.

    4. execstack -s /path/to/mplayer
    This turns off exec-shield for the mplayer binary.

    I can confirm this works

  2. Re: Solution: mplayer crash wmv files in fedora

    les ander wrote:
    > Solution is over here:
    > http://heliosj.iddings.us/wordpress/index.php?p=153
    >
    > I am pasting it so that it gets archived:
    >

    > Fedora Core - mplayer WMV 9 crashes
    > — Jeff @ [8:00pm EDT]
    >
    > For the last several months.. when I would try to play files encoded
    > for Windows Media Player 9, mplayer would seg fault. After weeks of
    > searching, I finally found this on mplayerhq.hu:
    >
    > There is a bad interaction on Fedora between exec-shield, prelink, and
    > any applications which use Windows DLLs (such as MPlayer).
    >
    > The problem is that exec-shield randomizes the load addresses of all
    > the system libraries. This randomization happens at prelink time (once
    > every two weeks).
    >
    > When MPlayer tries to load a Windows DLL it wants to put it at a
    > specific address (0x400000). If an important system library happens to
    > be there already, MPlayer will crash. (A typical symptom would be a
    > segmentation fault when trying to play Windows Media 9 files.)

    This is a handy work-around until the application is fixed, thanks.

    --
    bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
    Project Leader, USENET news

+ Reply to Thread