How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ??? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ??? - Redhat ; Every time my computer (RH 9.x) boots, I have to manually issue the command to stop iptables service (service iptables stop), how can I stop this permanently?, I mean when the computer boots next time, this should stop automatically. Thanks....

  1. How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    Every time my computer (RH 9.x) boots, I have to manually issue the
    command to stop iptables service (service iptables stop), how can I
    stop this permanently?, I mean when the computer boots next time, this
    should stop automatically.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    On 4 Jun 2004 06:12:46 -0700, Santa wrote:
    > Every time my computer (RH 9.x) boots, I have to manually issue the
    > command to stop iptables service (service iptables stop), how can I
    > stop this permanently?, I mean when the computer boots next time, this
    > should stop automatically.

    Why do you wish to disable your firewall?
    man chkconfig

  3. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    Santa wrote:

    > Every time my computer (RH 9.x) boots, I have to manually issue the
    > command to stop iptables service (service iptables stop), how can I
    > stop this permanently?, I mean when the computer boots next time, this
    > should stop automatically.

    chkconfig iptables off

    If you really want to!
    See the effect with

    chkconfig --list iptables

    Also

    service iptables stop

    to stop it until you reboot.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    If I didn't disable, then I can't do telnet into that machine from any
    other machine. If I disable(service iptables stop) then it can do
    telnet into this machine.

  5. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    On 2004-06-04, Santa wrote:
    > If I didn't disable, then I can't do telnet into that machine from any
    > other machine. If I disable(service iptables stop) then it can do
    > telnet into this machine.

    Here are a couple of ideas:

    If you disable iptables and someone breaks into your
    machine, it could be used for nefarious purposes that could
    cause you a huge amount of trouble.

    Better than disabling iptables would be to open the one port
    for telnet.

    Even better (as has been discussed _many_ times) would be to
    use ssh. With normal telnet, passwords and everything else
    are sent across the network in plain text. With ssh,
    everything is encrypted.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    Thanks fo rthe info, but in in which file I have to keep this info.
    Since everytime when my linux machine reboots, I don't want to set
    this iptables service to stop. Could you please let me know which file
    I have to edit to stop permanently.

  7. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    issue command:
    chkconfig --level 123456 iptables off
    this will prevent iptables from starting at boot time.

    though, best would be to use ssh and customize your firewall to allow
    only ssh port 22.

    santa19992000@yahoo.com (Santa) wrote in message news:<60e37826.0406080542.41ae39de@posting.google.com>...
    > Thanks fo rthe info, but in in which file I have to keep this info.
    > Since everytime when my linux machine reboots, I don't want to set
    > this iptables service to stop. Could you please let me know which file
    > I have to edit to stop permanently.

  8. Re: How can I stop iptables service stop automatically ???

    On 8 Jun 2004 06:42:35 -0700, santa19992000@yahoo.com (Santa) wrote:

    >Thanks fo rthe info, but in in which file I have to keep this info.
    >Since everytime when my linux machine reboots, I don't want to set
    >this iptables service to stop. Could you please let me know which file
    >I have to edit to stop permanently.

    I think the answer has already been posted (twice!) Seriously, you're
    sounding a bit clueless here. I strongly suggest switching to SSH and
    properly setting up your firewall if you are connected to an insecure
    network (ie internet or even a corp network). BTW, Putty is a great,
    free ssh client for windows.

    There are many GUIs out there for simplifying the IPTables
    configuration. Try firestarter.sourceforge.net for a good one. It'll
    help you configure exactly what you need. IT would be a shame to see
    you get hacked because you didn't understand how important a firewall
    is.

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread