repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive - Redhat

This is a discussion on repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive - Redhat ; I'm running Fedora core 2 on a machine with a master and slave hard drive. /dev/hdb1 my ide hard drive slave is dead and now when I boot I get as far as "checking filesystems" and then get a failure: ...

  1. repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive

    I'm running Fedora core 2 on a machine with a master and slave hard
    drive. /dev/hdb1 my ide hard drive slave is dead and now when I boot I
    get as far as "checking filesystems" and then get a failure:

    fsck.ext3 "unable to resolve 'LABEL=/backupdisk'
    /boot: clean ...

    Then I'm asked to enter my root password dropping to a shell. How do I
    fix this so the machine is ok with /dev/hda? I just want the machine to
    ignore the old drive that's gone.

    Thank you very much in advance.

    - David Kistner

  2. Re: repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:42:51 +0000, David Kistner wrote:

    > I'm running Fedora core 2 on a machine with a master and slave hard
    > drive.
    > /dev/hdb1 my ide hard drive slave is dead and now when I boot I get as
    > far as "checking filesystems" and then get a failure:
    >
    > fsck.ext3 "unable to resolve 'LABEL=/backupdisk' /boot: clean ...
    >
    > Then I'm asked to enter my root password dropping to a shell. How do I
    > fix this so the machine is ok with /dev/hda? I just want the machine to
    > ignore the old drive that's gone.

    Boot with the first Installation CD when the boot menu is displayed type
    'linux rescue' without the quotes and press the 'Enter' key. Answer a few
    questions and watch/read the screens as they are displayed. When done
    booting cd to where your root (/) partition is now mounted
    (/mnt/sysimage/????) and edit /etc/fstab to remove the entry.

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  3. Re: repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:08:54 GMT, Lenard wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:42:51 +0000, David Kistner wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Fedora core 2 on a machine with a master and slave hard
    >> drive.
    >> /dev/hdb1 my ide hard drive slave is dead and now when I boot I get as
    >> far as "checking filesystems" and then get a failure:
    >>
    >> fsck.ext3 "unable to resolve 'LABEL=/backupdisk' /boot: clean ...
    >>
    >> Then I'm asked to enter my root password dropping to a shell. How do I
    >> fix this so the machine is ok with /dev/hda? I just want the machine to
    >> ignore the old drive that's gone.

    >Boot with the first Installation CD when the boot menu is displayed type
    >'linux rescue' without the quotes and press the 'Enter' key. Answer a few
    >questions and watch/read the screens as they are displayed. When done
    >booting cd to where your root (/) partition is now mounted
    >(/mnt/sysimage/????) and edit /etc/fstab to remove the entry.

    Why not just interrupt grub and append a '1' to the end of the boot
    line to boot to single user mode?

    -Chris

  4. Re: repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive

    David Kistner wrote in message news:...
    > I'm running Fedora core 2 on a machine with a master and slave hard
    > drive. /dev/hdb1 my ide hard drive slave is dead and now when I boot I
    > get as far as "checking filesystems" and then get a failure:
    >
    > fsck.ext3 "unable to resolve 'LABEL=/backupdisk'
    > /boot: clean ...
    >
    > Then I'm asked to enter my root password dropping to a shell. How do I
    > fix this so the machine is ok with /dev/hda? I just want the machine to
    > ignore the old drive that's gone.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance.
    >
    > - David Kistner

    When your in the shell all you have to do is modify the /etc/fstab
    file removing the entries of filesystems that are trying to mount to
    your slave drive. Keep Smiling !

    Chris May
    Sr. Systems Administrator
    Infinicon Systems

  5. Re: repair filesystem - missing a slave hard drive

    The command you need to remount the readonly filesystem as writable:

    mount -o remount,rw /

+ Reply to Thread