Switching between shell windows? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Switching between shell windows? - Redhat ; RH 9 I often open several shells from inside a shell window by clicking on the "new shell icon" top left. Is there a more convenient way of switching between these than using the mouse (point-click)? JA...

  1. Switching between shell windows?

    RH 9

    I often open several shells from inside a shell window by clicking on
    the "new shell icon" top left. Is there a more convenient way of
    switching between these than using the mouse (point-click)?

    JA

  2. Re: Switching between shell windows?

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:36:44 -0700, Jonas Andersson wrote:

    > RH 9
    >
    > I often open several shells from inside a shell window by clicking on the
    > "new shell icon" top left. Is there a more convenient way of switching
    > between these than using the mouse (point-click)?

    ALT+TAB

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  3. Re: Switching between shell windows?

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:36:44 -0700, Jonas Andersson wrote:
    >
    > > RH 9
    > >
    > > I often open several shells from inside a shell window by clicking on the
    > > "new shell icon" top left. Is there a more convenient way of switching
    > > between these than using the mouse (point-click)?

    > ALT+TAB

    Ever try screen ?

  4. Re: Switching between shell windows?

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:36:44 -0700, Jonas Andersson wrote:
    >
    > > RH 9
    > >
    > > I often open several shells from inside a shell window by clicking on the
    > > "new shell icon" top left. Is there a more convenient way of switching
    > > between these than using the mouse (point-click)?

    > ALT+TAB

    Ever try screen ?

  5. Re: Switching between shell windows?

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:36:44 -0700, Jonas Andersson wrote:
    >
    > > RH 9
    > >
    > > I often open several shells from inside a shell window by clicking on the
    > > "new shell icon" top left. Is there a more convenient way of switching
    > > between these than using the mouse (point-click)?

    > ALT+TAB

    No, ALT+TAB switches between distinct windows. This is one and the
    same window, but with different shells in it (>1 window icons up left
    in window).

    JA

  6. Re: Switching between shell windows?

    > No, ALT+TAB switches between distinct windows. This is one and the
    > same window, but with different shells in it (>1 window icons up left
    > in window).

    I think the answer is "it depends" (isn't it always?). In GNOME, the
    terminal is normally not xterm, but gnome-terminal. To switch between tabs
    you use CTRL-PAGEUP. In KDE, the terminal is konsole, and I'm not quite sure
    what the keyboard short-cut is on that program.

+ Reply to Thread