is my drive damaged, bad HD? - Redhat

This is a discussion on is my drive damaged, bad HD? - Redhat ; I decided to hose my windows drive, and add it to my redhat 8 install, as 2 extra partitions. I connected the disk physically, and booted the OS. I used dmesg | more to find the proper device name for ...

  1. is my drive damaged, bad HD?

    I decided to hose my windows drive, and add it to my redhat 8 install,
    as 2 extra partitions. I connected the disk physically, and booted the
    OS.
    I used dmesg | more to find the proper device name for the drive,
    which in my case was /dev/hdc since it's my secondary master. I ran
    fdisk /dev/hdc.
    i removed the old msdos partitions, and w store your configuration
    changes once you've added your linux partitions. I added two primary
    partitions, /dev/hdc1 and /dev/hdc2.
    Time for file system creation....which would take about 3 hours to
    successfully complete.. arrgh..
    i ran mkfs /dev/hdc1
    While creating inodes the operation counted real fast up until about
    2-3 away from max, and just froze...i could switch to another
    terminal, but once i tried logging in, it froze completely after
    entering in the password and hitting enter..
    hmm...
    Bad disk?
    naah.worked fine with Win 98..as good as full....
    tried creating several small partitions, one big one (the drive is
    8GB)..big or not..bigger than my 2GB primary master boot drive..
    after researching this issue, i found that DMA access may be the root
    of my problem..
    i ran hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
    sure enough, DMA was enabled, and is now disabled. I ran mkfs
    /dev/hdc1.
    Success!!
    i ran mkfs /dev/hdc2
    success!
    I edited /etc/fstab and added my partitions by examining the others in
    the list
    ran mount -a, done!

    Then rebooted.
    ok..
    My os starts loading..and hangs completely at "Mounting local
    filesystems:"
    ok..DMA is still enabled for that darn drive..
    i disabled my secondary IDE controller, and the OS fails to read any
    info about /dev/hdc, 'cause it's just not there...saves you
    disconnecting the drive physically...especially if your case is back
    on your box.
    once in rescue mode (accessed by entering root password), i edited
    /etc/rc.sysinit and scrolled down to where it says "Mounting the rest
    of the file systems, or something like that.
    before that i added in
    hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
    then rebooted..

    success!!

    hope this will be of help to someone...as a complete newbie to linux i
    struggled a little, but after persistence, patience, and a little
    frustration, we got there!

  2. Re: is my drive damaged, bad HD?

    On 22 May 2004 12:07:46 -0700, Jarleif wrote:

    > hope this will be of help to someone...as a complete newbie to linux i
    > struggled a little, but after persistence, patience, and a little
    > frustration, we got there!

    When this happens again, reboot into single user mode and check
    /var/log/messages for anything suspicious wrt hda or hdc.

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
    -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

+ Reply to Thread