timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome - Redhat

This is a discussion on timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome - Redhat ; Does anyone know of a simple Gnome/gtk app somewhere in the spirit of Kalarm? Basically just a glorified stopwatch. I know I can use evolution and the alarms, but that's just silly! I mainly need this for baking and cooking--very ...

  1. timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome

    Does anyone know of a simple Gnome/gtk app somewhere in the spirit of
    Kalarm? Basically just a glorified stopwatch. I know I can use evolution
    and the alarms, but that's just silly!

    I mainly need this for baking and cooking--very often I have a nice rye
    bread in the oven, and it's a shame to let it burn just because I'm
    distracted on IRC. :P

  2. Re: timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:03:31 +0000, maxo wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a simple Gnome/gtk app somewhere in the spirit of
    > Kalarm? Basically just a glorified stopwatch. I know I can use evolution
    > and the alarms, but that's just silly!
    >
    > I mainly need this for baking and cooking--very often I have a nice rye
    > bread in the oven, and it's a shame to let it burn just because I'm
    > distracted on IRC. :P

    Doesn't your oven have a timer?

  3. Re: timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:03:37 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:03:31 +0000, maxo wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a simple Gnome/gtk app somewhere in the spirit of
    >> Kalarm? Basically just a glorified stopwatch. I know I can use evolution
    >> and the alarms, but that's just silly!
    >>
    >> I mainly need this for baking and cooking--very often I have a nice rye
    >> bread in the oven, and it's a shame to let it burn just because I'm
    >> distracted on IRC. :P

    > Doesn't your oven have a timer?

    I use one of those old-fashioned 60-minute mechanical timers for this.
    Compared to the computer it sits on, it's stone-age, but it has a loud
    alarm, somethng that no Fedora Core 1 app I've tried can do with the sound
    hardware in my Intel 810 motherboard. I'm hoping that FC2 will fix it,
    but I may wind up buying a sound card. BTW, the hardware does work, but
    only under Windows XP.

  4. Re: timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:03:31 -0400, maxo wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a simple Gnome/gtk app somewhere in the spirit of
    > Kalarm? Basically just a glorified stopwatch. I know I can use evolution
    > and the alarms, but that's just silly!
    >
    > I mainly need this for baking and cooking--very often I have a nice rye
    > bread in the oven, and it's a shame to let it burn just because I'm
    > distracted on IRC. :P

    Hi!

    If you have something like "beep" (man beep) on your system, and if you
    are familiar with shell scripting at all, then there may be a trivial
    solution to your timer needs. You can write a very simple and short
    script, chmod (man chmod) it to executable, open a terminal and set it
    running. Something like this:

    (BTW, I haven't tested this, so it may need some polishing :P ...)

    (Open a terminal or xterm...)

    $ cat > rye_bread_timer.sh

    sleep 2700 # 2700 seconds is 45 minutes
    # How long does a Rye Bread (Yum!) need to bake ??
    beep

    chmod 755 rye_bread_timer.sh

    (... or
    chmod +x rye_bread_timer.sh
    ....)

    Then, when you put your loaf in the oven, in a terminal (xterm?), type in:

    $ bash rye_bread_timer.sh

    The script will wake after 2700 seconds and "beep" your PC speaker, no
    sound card required. There are lots and lots of possible improvements
    and enhancements possible, but I think this might work for you just as it
    is. If I flubbed anything here, please someone jump in and correct or
    elucidate it correctly. I love rye bread; e-mail me a piece. :P

    HTH

    Best wishes.

    Please Followup-to: alt.os.linux.redhat
    --
    Remove the backwards _NO_SPAM for e-mail
    ... Trying to cut down on the backwards NEWS virus mail

  5. Re: timer/alarm/stopwatch app for Gnome

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:03:31 +0000, maxo wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a simple Gnome/gtk app somewhere in the spirit of
    > Kalarm? Basically just a glorified stopwatch. I know I can use evolution
    > and the alarms, but that's just silly!
    >
    > I mainly need this for baking and cooking--very often I have a nice rye
    > bread in the oven, and it's a shame to let it burn just because I'm
    > distracted on IRC. :P

    Wahoo, I finally found the perfect one! Sanduhr, which shows a cool
    hourglass graphical representation and pops up a text message box. Very
    nice with just a touch of whimsy

    I'm using a version built for RH7.1, which works just fine on my FC1 box:
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i386.rpm.html

    I'd really just like to see an alarm built into the clock applet--in a
    right click context menu, have "new alarm" as an option. I know I
    know--feature bloat :P

+ Reply to Thread