how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ? - Redhat ; Hello, what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell. Thanks ...

  1. how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    Hello,

    what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd
    FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd
    is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell.

    Thanks in advance,
    - Andray

  2. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    In article <8x5rc.43809$kc2.655956@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, Andray Kaganovsky wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd
    > FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd
    > is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell.

    In general, you change the line:

    disable = yes

    disable = no

    in the appropriate config file under /etc/xinetd.d (I'm not running Fedora, so
    I don't know the specific file - its probably /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd). Then you
    need to tell xinetd to re-read its configs:

    # /sbin/service xinetd reload

    Kevin

  3. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    Kevin Collins wrote:

    > In article <8x5rc.43809$kc2.655956@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, Andray Kaganovsky
    > wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd
    >> FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd
    >> is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell.

    > In general, you change the line:
    >
    > disable = yes

    > disable = no
    >
    > in the appropriate config file under /etc/xinetd.d (I'm not running
    > Fedora, so I don't know the specific file - its probably
    > /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd). Then you need to tell xinetd to re-read its
    > configs:
    >
    > # /sbin/service xinetd reload
    >
    > Kevin

    [AndrayK 2]. Well, there is no file named /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd or
    /ect/xinetd.d/ftp in Fedora Core 2 installation, so it's not that
    easy. This probably has to do with the fact that vsftpd is meant
    to be started outside of xinetd (which man page for vsftpd seems
    to suggest). I assume I will need to create such file from
    scratch, but I don't know what contents of that file would be,
    and what should be the name of this file.

    regards,
    -Andray

  4. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) writes:
    >In article <8x5rc.43809$kc2.655956@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, Andray Kaganovsky wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd
    >> FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd
    >> is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell.

    >In general, you change the line:
    >
    >disable = yes

    >disable = no

    Actually, the recommended method is to use the chkconfig command:

    # checkconfig vsftpd on

    scott

  5. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) writes:
    >>In article <8x5rc.43809$kc2.655956@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, Andray Kaganovsky
    >>wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd
    >>> FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd
    >>> is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell.

    >>In general, you change the line:
    >>
    >>disable = yes

    >>disable = no

    > Actually, the recommended method is to use the chkconfig command:
    >
    > # checkconfig vsftpd on
    >
    > scott

    [AndrayK 2]. I executed "chkconfig vsftpd on", it didn't do anything -
    no error message, but no FTP server neither. The vsftpd doesn't show
    up in the list produced by 'pas -aux'. Any ideas ?
    Regards,
    -Andray

  6. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    Andray Kaganovsky writes:
    >Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >> spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) writes:

    >>>In general, you change the line:
    >>>
    >>>disable = yes

    >>>disable = no

    >> Actually, the recommended method is to use the chkconfig command:
    >>
    >> # checkconfig vsftpd on

    # chkconfig -- duh.

    >> scott

    >[AndrayK 2]. I executed "chkconfig vsftpd on", it didn't do anything -
    >no error message, but no FTP server neither. The vsftpd doesn't show
    >up in the list produced by 'pas -aux'. Any ideas ?

    It is an on-demand server. xinetd will fire it up when an
    incoming connection on the ftp port is received.

    Try this:
    $ netstat -a | grep LIST | grep ftp
    tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN

    Adding the -p option to netstat should show the process id for xinetd
    as the listener on the ftp port.

    scott

  7. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > Andray Kaganovsky writes:
    >>Scott Lurndal wrote:

    >>> Actually, the recommended method is to use the chkconfig command:
    >>>
    >>> # checkconfig vsftpd on

    > # chkconfig -- duh.
    >

    >>> scott

    >>[AndrayK 2]. I executed "chkconfig vsftpd on", it didn't do anything -
    >>no error message, but no FTP server neither. The vsftpd doesn't show
    >>up in the list produced by 'pas -aux'. Any ideas ?

    > It is an on-demand server. xinetd will fire it up when an
    > incoming connection on the ftp port is received.
    >
    > Try this:
    > $ netstat -a | grep LIST | grep ftp
    > tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN
    >
    > Adding the -p option to netstat should show the process id for xinetd
    > as the listener on the ftp port.
    >
    > scott

    [AndrayK 3]. I executed the "netstat -a", but 'ftp' isn't there. I can see
    telnet (which I specifically enabled) but not ftp. Executing
    "chkconfig vsftpd on" and trying to ftp into this machine
    from other machine didn't change anything - attempt to connect to
    FTP server fails, and "netstat -a" didn't show ftp.

    My feeling is that xinetd fails to figure out that it needs to
    launch 'vsftpd' in response to FTP connection request. I have older
    Fedore Core 1 box with wu-ftpd, and there xinetd can figure out
    that it has to launch wu-ftpd, because there is a file
    /ect/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd with the follwoing contents:

    # default: on
    # normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
    service ftp
    {
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
    server_args = -l -a
    log_on_success += DURATION
    nice = 10
    disable = no
    }

    I think I need something similar for vsftpd.
    regards, Andray

  8. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    Andray Kaganovsky wrote:

    > Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >> Andray Kaganovsky writes:

    >> # chkconfig -- duh.

    >>>[AndrayK 2]. I executed "chkconfig vsftpd on", it didn't do anything -
    >>>no error message, but no FTP server neither. The vsftpd doesn't show
    >>>up in the list produced by 'pas -aux'. Any ideas ?

    >> It is an on-demand server. xinetd will fire it up when an
    >> incoming connection on the ftp port is received.
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >> $ netstat -a | grep LIST | grep ftp
    >> tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:*
    >> LISTEN
    >>
    >> Adding the -p option to netstat should show the process id for xinetd
    >> as the listener on the ftp port.
    >>
    >> scott

    > [AndrayK 3]. I executed the "netstat -a", but 'ftp' isn't there. I can see
    > telnet (which I specifically enabled) but not ftp. Executing
    > "chkconfig vsftpd on" and trying to ftp into this machine
    > from other machine didn't change anything - attempt to connect to
    > FTP server fails, and "netstat -a" didn't show ftp.
    >
    > My feeling is that xinetd fails to figure out that it needs to
    > launch 'vsftpd' in response to FTP connection request. I have older
    > Fedore Core 1 box with wu-ftpd, and there xinetd can figure out
    > that it has to launch wu-ftpd, because there is a file
    > /ect/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd with the follwoing contents:
    >
    > # default: on
    > # \
    > # normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for
    > # authentication.
    > service ftp
    > {
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > user = root
    > server = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
    > server_args = -l -a
    > log_on_success += DURATION
    > nice = 10
    > disable = no
    > }
    >
    > I think I need something similar for vsftpd.
    > regards, Andray

    [AndrayK 4]. I added the file /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd with the following
    contents:

    service ftp
    {
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
    log_on_success += DURATION
    nice = 10
    disable = no
    }

    and modified file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf (commented out statement
    "listen=YES"). Now vsftpd is started automatically by xinetd whenever
    FTP connection to the machine is attempted.

    Does configuration file above looks right ? Do I need to pass vsftpd
    any flags ?

    regards,
    -Andray

  9. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    In article <%K6rc.69912$wy2.53284@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, Scott Lurndal
    wrote:
    > spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) writes:
    >>In article <8x5rc.43809$kc2.655956@nnrp1.uunet.ca>, Andray Kaganovsky wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> what do I need to do in order to configure xinetd to start vsftpd
    >>> FTP server automatically ? I am running Fedora Core 2. The vsftpd
    >>> is installed and works just fine if I start it from shell.

    >>In general, you change the line:
    >>
    >>disable = yes

    >>disable = no

    > Actually, the recommended method is to use the chkconfig command:
    >
    > # checkconfig vsftpd on

    Wrong - chkconfig is for starting up processed via various run-levels at boot
    time. It does not have control over xinetd.

    It is possible that vsftpd is setup to run as a standalone daemon, and then
    running:

    # chkconfig vsftpd on

    would configure it to run at boot, but it will not start it. For that, you
    would need to also run:

    # service vsftpd start

    Again, I am not running Fedora so I don't know which way its configured, but
    previous versions (7.x thru 9.0) used xinetd to start ftpd.

    Kevin

  10. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    In article , Andray Kaganovsky wrote:

    -snip-

    > [AndrayK 4]. I added the file /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd with the following
    > contents:
    >
    > service ftp
    > {
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > user = root
    > server = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
    > log_on_success += DURATION
    > nice = 10
    > disable = no
    > }
    >
    > and modified file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf (commented out statement
    > "listen=YES"). Now vsftpd is started automatically by xinetd whenever
    > FTP connection to the machine is attempted.
    >
    > Does configuration file above looks right ? Do I need to pass vsftpd
    > any flags ?

    That looks right to me. Does it work as you expected? That are many other
    options you can specify, read 'man xinetd.conf' for more details.

    Kevin

  11. Re: how to start starting vsftpd from xinetd ?

    spamtotrash@toomuchfiction.com (Kevin Collins) writes:
    >In article <%K6rc.69912$wy2.53284@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, Scott Lurndal
    >wrote:

    >> Actually, the recommended method is to use the chkconfig command:
    >>
    >> # checkconfig vsftpd on

    >Wrong - chkconfig is for starting up processed via various run-levels at boot
    >time. It does not have control over xinetd.

    Wrong. Try it and find out. chkconfig does handle the xinetd services
    as of Redhat 8 (and possibly earlier). It handles modification of the
    service configuration in /etc/xinetd.d and signals xinetd to re-read its
    configuration.

    (BTW - chkconfig does _not_ start up processes. The service command is
    used for that. All chkconfig does for non-xinetd services is make and
    remove links in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d)

    The OP was missing the service configuration file in /etc/xinetd.d which is
    normally installed as part of the vsftpd Redhat provided RPM.

    scott

    FYI:

    $ strings /sbin/chkconfig | grep xin
    /etc/init.d/xinetd reload >/dev/null 2>&1
    xinetd
    xinetd based services:
    /etc/xinetd.d
    /etc/xinetd.d/%s