X-Window and Java question - Redhat

This is a discussion on X-Window and Java question - Redhat ; I have inherited the responsibility of setting up a college lab for java classes. I know next to nothing about java and have a few questions; Our current configuration is; Windows 2000 / XP lab machines with J2SE 1.4.2 Redhat ...

  1. X-Window and Java question

    I have inherited the responsibility of setting up a college lab for java
    classes. I know next to nothing about java and have a few questions;

    Our current configuration is;
    Windows 2000 / XP lab machines with J2SE 1.4.2

    Redhat 8.0 server with J2SE 1.4.2

    Students telnet into the Redhat server and use PICO to create their
    programs.

    My question is;

    If the student programs are designed to display GUI type boxes would this be
    possible via telnet?

    From my limited experience with Linux I would think they would need XWindows
    access to do this.

    In another group it was suggested that I install an X Server on the Windows
    machine and set my DISPLAY variable.

    Does this make sense?

    I guess my next step is to find an X Server for Windows.

    Thanks,
    -Giles

  2. Re: X-Window and Java question

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:24:27 +0000, glh-usenet wrote:

    > I have inherited the responsibility of setting up a college lab for java
    > classes. I know next to nothing about java and have a few questions;
    >
    > Our current configuration is;
    > Windows 2000 / XP lab machines with J2SE 1.4.2
    >
    > Redhat 8.0 server with J2SE 1.4.2
    >
    > Students telnet into the Redhat server and use PICO to create their
    > programs.
    >
    > My question is;
    >
    > If the student programs are designed to display GUI type boxes would this be
    > possible via telnet?

    This is *bad* (TM). Use ssh -X -l user machinename. Of course it is
    possible, but you should use unix boxes, not window$. See below.
    > From my limited experience with Linux I would think they would

    need
    > XWindows access to do this.

    Correct.
    > In another group it was suggested that I install an X Server on the
    > Windows machine and set my DISPLAY variable.

    Exactly. You should also install ssh on wintoys boxes. Now, I'm not aware
    of a good and free X server for window$. But my knowledge on this subject
    is limited.

    May I know why the lab is not running linux? Scientific applications are
    written mostly for linux, and they are free. Unless of course the main
    priority would be to run kazaa.

  3. Re: X-Window and Java question

    Op Thu, 20 May 2004 13:51:14 +0000, schreef The Real Slim Shady de
    volgende woorden:

    >> If the student programs are designed to display GUI type boxes would this be
    >> possible via telnet?
    >>

    > This is *bad* (TM). Use ssh -X -l user machinename. Of course it is
    > possible, but you should use unix boxes, not window$. See below.

    i agree: use ssh in stead of telnet

    >> From my limited experience with Linux I would think they would

    > need
    >> XWindows access to do this.
    >>

    > Correct.
    >> In another group it was suggested that I install an X Server on the
    >> Windows machine and set my DISPLAY variable.
    >>

    > Exactly. You should also install ssh on wintoys boxes. Now, I'm not aware
    > of a good and free X server for window$. But my knowledge on this subject
    > is limited.

    I don't know if they are good, but there are some, and they are free and
    open source

    http://osswin.sourceforge.net/#x

    Dirk

  4. Re: X-Window and Java question

    In article <8176bad5c7be7a816483ea3c194b6577@news.teranews.com>, glh-usenet
    wrote:
    > I have inherited the responsibility of setting up a college lab for java
    > classes. I know next to nothing about java and have a few questions;
    >
    > Our current configuration is;
    > Windows 2000 / XP lab machines with J2SE 1.4.2
    >
    > Redhat 8.0 server with J2SE 1.4.2
    >
    > Students telnet into the Redhat server and use PICO to create their
    > programs.
    >
    > My question is;
    >
    > If the student programs are designed to display GUI type boxes would this be
    > possible via telnet?
    >
    > From my limited experience with Linux I would think they would need XWindows
    > access to do this.
    >
    > In another group it was suggested that I install an X Server on the Windows
    > machine and set my DISPLAY variable.
    >
    > Does this make sense?
    >
    > I guess my next step is to find an X Server for Windows.

    Better is to use VNC, which allows you to run just an X "viewer" from Windows
    while the server runs on linux. The server component (vncserver) should already
    be installed as part of RedHat 8.

    Check out: http://www.realvnc.com/ to download the windows viewer (vncviewer).
    What's really nice is that it is all free, works over "thin" networks and is
    supported on many platforms.

    What I've done to make it simpler (no installing vncviewer on all systems) is
    to create a Samba share on a linux box that has the windows vncviewer and have
    the windows users do:

    Start -> Run: \\linuxbox\vnc\vncviewer.exe

    Also, in regards to other's post about ssh instead of telnet, keep in mind that
    unless you use "X tunneling", all the X traffic is just as insecure as the
    telnet and probably more so as X is easily hijacked.

    If you want to use ssh, I highly recommend the use of 'putty' for Windows:

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty Kevin

    Kevin

  5. Re: X-Window and Java question

    "Kevin Collins" wrote in message

    > Better is to use VNC, which allows you to run just an X "viewer" from

    Windows
    > while the server runs on linux. The server component (vncserver) should

    already
    > be installed as part of RedHat 8.

    isnt (tight)VNC like pcanywhere? so if I am in a classroom lab environment
    and have multiple students need access to the Linux box, wouldnt there be a
    conflict?

  6. Re: X-Window and Java question

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:12:41 +0200, Dirk wrote:

    > I don't know if they are good, but there are some, and they are free and
    > open source
    >
    > http://osswin.sourceforge.net/#x
    >
    > Dirk

    Putting X on wintoy$ is a total waste of time to me. Wipe the disk and
    install linux. Maybe not very constructive regarding his question, but
    this is the truth. This hybrids Frankenstein style are nonsense. No need
    to reinvent unix, it's already here.

  7. Re: X-Window and Java question

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:12:41 +0200, Dirk wrote:

    >>> From my limited experience with Linux I would think they would

    >> need
    >>> XWindows access to do this.
    >>>

    >> Correct.
    >>> In another group it was suggested that I install an X Server on the
    >>> Windows machine and set my DISPLAY variable.

    If you haven't seen in yet, check out the CYGWIN project at

    http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

    and be amazed. It's a POSIX programming environment with all your
    expected tools from GNU and such. There's even a nice X11 desktop
    for the M$ crowd. And it's all free.

    Cheers!

  8. Re: X-Window and Java question

    In article <5e6950e329bef5fad2f0f2efb29bdbcb@news.teranews.com>, glh-usenet
    wrote:

    > "Kevin Collins" wrote in message
    >
    >> Better is to use VNC, which allows you to run just an X "viewer" from

    > Windows
    >> while the server runs on linux. The server component (vncserver) should

    > already
    >> be installed as part of RedHat 8.

    > isnt (tight)VNC like pcanywhere? so if I am in a classroom lab environment
    > and have multiple students need access to the Linux box, wouldnt there be a
    > conflict?

    Only vaguely like pcAnywhere. Each student starts his own vncserver process -
    its a per-user type of thing. In fact, each student could have *more* than one
    instance of vncserver if they wanted.

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread