create 4GB tmpfs - Redhat

This is a discussion on create 4GB tmpfs - Redhat ; Hi, Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to create a 4GB tmpfs on RHEL 3 This is a machine with 8GB of ram and I need to create this tmpfs in order to put an ...

  1. create 4GB tmpfs

    Hi,

    Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to create a 4GB tmpfs on
    RHEL 3

    This is a machine with 8GB of ram and I need to create this tmpfs in
    order to put an entire sybase database (tempdb) in memory for
    perormance reasons.

    Thanks

  2. Re: create 4GB tmpfs

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:44:10 -0700, Germano wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to create a 4GB tmpfs on
    > RHEL 3
    >
    > This is a machine with 8GB of ram and I need to create this tmpfs in
    > order to put an entire sybase database (tempdb) in memory for
    > perormance reasons.
    >
    > Thanks

    From man mount:
    Mount options for tmpfs
    The following parameters accept a suffix k, m or g for Ki, Mi, Gi
    (binary kilo, mega and giga) and can be changed on remount.

    size=nbytes
    Override default size of the filesystem. The size is given in
    bytes, and rounded down to entire pages. The default is half of
    the memory.

    Assuming that the docs are wrong with respect to the default setting, you
    can edit /etc/fstab to look something like the following:
    none /tmp tmpfs size=4G 0 0

    --

    If at first you don't succeed,
    read the manual......