Fedora Core 2 FC2 unable to connect to internet using ethernet - OK connect to local network - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 2 FC2 unable to connect to internet using ethernet - OK connect to local network - Redhat ; Hello, I have tried to post this to the Fedora message lists but failed Configuration in use. Ethernet card connected via UTP to ADSL router / modem. FC2 picks up its IP address by DHCP from ADSL router successfully. ifconfig ...

  1. Fedora Core 2 FC2 unable to connect to internet using ethernet - OK connect to local network

    Hello,

    I have tried to post this to the Fedora message lists but failed

    Configuration in use. Ethernet card connected via UTP to
    ADSL router / modem. FC2 picks up its IP address by
    DHCP from ADSL router successfully. ifconfig shows
    "good" IP address for Linux FC2 (i.e. in the range
    that DHCP will assign to clients). I can ping the
    ADSL router (192.168.0.1 private address) and I can
    ping successfully some public address which seem to
    resolve such as www.bbc.co.uk or www.ic.ac.uk. I have
    flushed all the iptable rules to stop firewall
    settings being a problem. Default gateway is set to
    the ADSL router address (192.168.0.1). All the
    previous seems correct and expected as far as I know.

    Problem: When I enter any "name" in the Netscape
    address line (say, www.microsoft.com) the status line
    of the browser shows "Connecting" continuously, but
    never connects. I can connect to my router Web admin
    screens on 192.168.0.1 by typing this address
    explicitly in the Netscape address line - but I can't
    contact any other Web server through Netscape.

    Any ideas on another configuration check / change
    to get Netscape connecting to the world?

  2. Re: Fedora Core 2 FC2 unable to connect to internet using ethernet - OK connect to local network

    > Problem: When I enter any "name" in the Netscape
    > address line (say, www.microsoft.com) the status line

    More info:

    If I use PING to determine the IP address of one (any) URL - and then
    use that in the address line of NEtscape browser under FC" - then the
    browser still has the same problem.

    If I type in the IP address of a URL in IE under windows - the IE
    browser connects quickly to the Web site.

    So I don't think it is a DNS problem - something about Netscape /
    Mozilla - I have looked through the preferences and can't find
    anything relevant.

    Clive

  3. Re: Fedora Core 2 FC2 unable to connect to internet using ethernet - OK connect to local network

    Hi,

    I just downloaded and installed Fedora Core 2 (2.6.5 kernel?). Now
    Mozilla / Netscape CAN connect to Internet sites ( I am using it NOW
    to post through Google). Problem "gone away".

    Clive

+ Reply to Thread