RedHat ES3 File Encoding - Redhat

This is a discussion on RedHat ES3 File Encoding - Redhat ; Hello all, Recently, we've upgraded our redhat systems from RH 7.3 + progeny to RH ES3. Unfortunately, duning some point in between 7.3 and ES3, the default file encoding has changed. This is a problem for one of our java ...

  1. RedHat ES3 File Encoding

    Hello all,

    Recently, we've upgraded our redhat systems from RH 7.3 + progeny to
    RH ES3. Unfortunately, duning some point in between 7.3 and ES3, the
    default file encoding has changed. This is a problem for one of our
    java applications, which breaks when using "iso-8859-15", but works
    wonderfully when using "iso-8859-1", which is the default on 7.3.
    Could somone let me know how to change this property so that it runs
    "iso-8859-1" by default?

    If you would like to contact me via email, please feel free:

    perl -e ' $foo = "nick" ; $bar = "nicholasbernstein.com" ; print
    "${foo}\@${bar}\n"; '

    Thanks, very much, in advance,
    Nick

    P.S.:
    For the curious, the way that I know it has changed it that java will
    can print out system settings, so while one would think that you could
    change it where you find the information, that, in this case, is not
    so.

    --
    Nick Bernstein
    http://nicholasbernstein.com

  2. Re: RedHat ES3 File Encoding

    np_bernstein@hotmail.com (niku) writes:
    >Hello all,
    >
    >Recently, we've upgraded our redhat systems from RH 7.3 + progeny to
    >RH ES3. Unfortunately, duning some point in between 7.3 and ES3, the
    >default file encoding has changed. This is a problem for one of our
    >java applications, which breaks when using "iso-8859-15", but works
    >wonderfully when using "iso-8859-1", which is the default on 7.3.
    >Could somone let me know how to change this property so that it runs
    >"iso-8859-1" by default?

    man -k locale

    scott

    (in particular, check:

    env | egrep "LC|LANG"

  3. Re: RedHat ES3 File Encoding

    np_bernstein@hotmail.com (niku) wrote in message news:<75afaa04.0405171154.7a8ffba1@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Recently, we've upgraded our redhat systems from RH 7.3 + progeny to
    > RH ES3. Unfortunately, duning some point in between 7.3 and ES3, the
    > default file encoding has changed. This is a problem for one of our
    > java applications, which breaks when using "iso-8859-15", but works
    > wonderfully when using "iso-8859-1", which is the default on 7.3.
    > Could somone let me know how to change this property so that it runs
    > "iso-8859-1" by default?

    > If you would like to contact me via email, please feel free:
    >
    > perl -e ' $foo = "nick" ; $bar = "nicholasbernstein.com" ; print
    > "${foo}\@${bar}\n"; '
    >
    > Thanks, very much, in advance,
    > Nick
    >
    > P.S.:
    > For the curious, the way that I know it has changed it that java will
    > can print out system settings, so while one would think that you could
    > change it where you find the information, that, in this case, is not
    > so.

    /etc/sysconfig/i18n ?

    there may remain utf-8 issues ;-(

    hth,