problem with RH v9.0 - Redhat

This is a discussion on problem with RH v9.0 - Redhat ; i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it. some of the problems that i am facing are 1. when ...

  1. problem with RH v9.0

    i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to
    linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it.

    some of the problems that i am facing are

    1. when ever i try to set my mouse setting or access my printer i get
    the following message

    " you are attempting to run " redhat - config - ------ " which
    requires administrative priviledges , but more information is needed
    in order to do so."

    then a required password window comes . i give the password , that i
    gave when i try to load to boot linux.but it does not work.

    2. they say that linux is programmer's paradise , but where to write
    the commands.
    can anyone please tell where to click ?

    3. how to surf the internet using the linux ?

    thanking you in advance.

    with regards

    rituraj

  2. problem with red hat linux v9.0

    riturajpathak@hotmail.com (ritu) wrote in message news:...
    > i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to
    > linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it.
    >
    > some of the problems that i am facing are
    >
    > 1. when ever i try to set my mouse setting or access my printer i get
    > the following message
    >
    > " you are attempting to run " redhat - config - ------ " which
    > requires administrative priviledges , but more information is needed
    > in order to do so."
    >
    > then a required password window comes . i give the password , that i
    > gave when i try to load to boot linux.but it does not work.
    >
    > 2. they say that linux is programmer's paradise , but where to write
    > the commands.
    > can anyone please tell where to click ?
    >
    > 3. how to surf the internet using the linux ?
    >
    > thanking you in advance.
    >
    > with regards
    >
    > rituraj

    N.B: please help me . i am a novice

  3. Re: problem with red hat linux v9.0

    >> i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to
    >> linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it.
    >>
    >> some of the problems that i am facing are
    >>
    >> 1. when ever i try to set my mouse setting or access my printer i get
    >> the following message
    >>
    >> " you are attempting to run " redhat - config - ------ " which
    >> requires administrative priviledges , but more information is needed
    >> in order to do so."
    >>
    >> then a required password window comes . i give the password , that i
    >> gave when i try to load to boot linux.but it does not work.
    >>
    >> 2. they say that linux is programmer's paradise , but where to write
    >> the commands.
    >> can anyone please tell where to click ?
    >>
    >> 3. how to surf the internet using the linux ?
    >>
    >> thanking you in advance.
    >>
    >> with regards
    >>
    >> rituraj

    > N.B: please help me . i am a novice

    Welcome to the Linux world. We were all newbies once, some
    of us more recently than others.

    The quick answer to where to type is in a terminal window.
    Assuming you are in Gnome or KDE, one of the icons on the
    lower edge of the screen brings up a terminal you can type
    commands to. If that doesn't work, use the menus to find an
    entry to open a terminal window. (I don't use those
    "desktop" things, so I can't tell you where exactly it
    lives.)

    If your root password is corrupted, that is a problem you
    might not be readily able to fix. Do you have a friend who
    is experienced with Linux you could have help you?

    There are several good placed to learn about Linux:

    - Red Hat supplies documentation RPMs on the CDs. They
    are most useful for reference, but there's a lot that
    can be learned from them.

    - Lurking in *linux* newsgroups is _very_ helpful. Most
    of them have a good signal-to-noise ratio.

    - Searching google.com/linux or groups.google.com

    - There are many other good sites, such as tldp.org, that
    have a lot of useful information. The search sites will
    help you build a list of the ones you like most.

    Please don't give up. The learning curve may be difficult
    at first, but the rewards are grand.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: problem with RH v9.0

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:18:26 -0700, ritu wrote:

    > i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to
    > linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it.
    >
    > some of the problems that i am facing are
    >
    > 1. when ever i try to set my mouse setting or access my printer i get
    > the following message
    >
    > " you are attempting to run " redhat - config - ------ " which
    > requires administrative priviledges , but more information is needed
    > in order to do so."
    >
    > then a required password window comes . i give the password , that i
    > gave when i try to load to boot linux.but it does not work.
    >
    > 2. they say that linux is programmer's paradise , but where to write
    > the commands.
    > can anyone please tell where to click ?
    >
    > 3. how to surf the internet using the linux ?
    >
    > thanking you in advance.
    >
    > with regards
    >
    > rituraj

    If you can't remember your "root" password you set when you installed
    RH9, you may find the easiest solution is to reinstall. You have to find
    a way to get root priveleges in order to use redhat config utilities.
    Repeat: you must establish a root account before you can do much with
    Linux.

    There are several ways to start a terminal (window where you type in
    commands) program. I prefer the KDE "konsole" terminal.

    1) Click on the red hat in the lower left corner of your screen.
    2) Click on "Run Program..."
    3) In the "Run Program" dialog box, type: konsole

    If you installed/install the documentation provided with RH9, you will
    find good information on the basics of typing commands to control your
    RH9.

    1) Click on the red hat left lower corner of your screen
    2) Click on "Documentation" toward the top of the menu list that pops up
    3) Click on "Getting Started Guide"
    4) Section 13 covers the basics of typing in commands, and related Shell
    topics

    The second icon from the left, just after the red hat, is usually the
    Mozilla browser. If you are connected to the internet, clicking on it
    will open a familiar browser window.

    The Red Hat documentation is pretty
    good. I found third party books a lot better in the beginning than the
    "man" pages or "info". Now that I have a beter grasp on the jargon and
    terminology, I am more comfortable with "man".

    Good luck. I'm
    still learning a lot too. One step at a time. I started totally ignorant,
    just convinced I wanted to have an alternative to Microsoft. It's taken
    me some time, but now I've got 2 RH and one other linux system on my home
    network.

  5. Re: problem with RH v9.0

    As for resetting your root password...

    When you first power your machine on, you'll see the blue grub
    bootloader screen. Select your installation and hit "a" (for append).
    Hit the spacebar and type "1" for runlevel 1, which is single user
    mode. Hit enter. You will be automatically logged in as root when it
    boots up.

    Change your root password by typing "passwd" at the command line. You
    have to enter the password twice.

    type "reboot" or "telinit 5" to go back to your normal runlevel.

    Note if you installed LILO instead of grub as your bootloader, to get
    into runlevel one, (with the LILO GUI) hit ctrl-x at the LILO GUI
    screen to get a prompt, then type "linux 1". If you don't use the
    gui, just type "linux 1". Same thing.

    And finally, if you put a bootloader password on it, and you forgot
    that as well, you can use your redhat install cd's to fix it. Stick
    in the first cd, power on the machine, and type "linux rescue" at the
    boot prompt. From there you can chroot your hard drive and fix your
    root password, along with your bootloader password. If you need to do
    that, post and I'll give a howto.

    alt_phil
    http://uhacc.org

    surftagger wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:18:26 -0700, ritu wrote:
    >
    > > i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to
    > > linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it.
    > >
    > > some of the problems that i am facing are
    > >
    > > 1. when ever i try to set my mouse setting or access my printer i get
    > > the following message
    > >
    > > " you are attempting to run " redhat - config - ------ " which
    > > requires administrative priviledges , but more information is needed
    > > in order to do so."
    > >
    > > then a required password window comes . i give the password , that i
    > > gave when i try to load to boot linux.but it does not work.
    > >
    > > 2. they say that linux is programmer's paradise , but where to write
    > > the commands.
    > > can anyone please tell where to click ?
    > >
    > > 3. how to surf the internet using the linux ?
    > >
    > > thanking you in advance.
    > >
    > > with regards
    > >
    > > rituraj

    > If you can't remember your "root" password you set when you installed
    > RH9, you may find the easiest solution is to reinstall. You have to find
    > a way to get root priveleges in order to use redhat config utilities.
    > Repeat: you must establish a root account before you can do much with
    > Linux.
    >
    > There are several ways to start a terminal (window where you type in
    > commands) program. I prefer the KDE "konsole" terminal.
    >
    > 1) Click on the red hat in the lower left corner of your screen.
    > 2) Click on "Run Program..."
    > 3) In the "Run Program" dialog box, type: konsole
    >
    > If you installed/install the documentation provided with RH9, you will
    > find good information on the basics of typing commands to control your
    > RH9.
    >
    > 1) Click on the red hat left lower corner of your screen
    > 2) Click on "Documentation" toward the top of the menu list that pops up
    > 3) Click on "Getting Started Guide"
    > 4) Section 13 covers the basics of typing in commands, and related Shell
    > topics
    >
    > The second icon from the left, just after the red hat, is usually the
    > Mozilla browser. If you are connected to the internet, clicking on it
    > will open a familiar browser window.
    >
    > The Red Hat documentation is pretty
    > good. I found third party books a lot better in the beginning than the
    > "man" pages or "info". Now that I have a beter grasp on the jargon and
    > terminology, I am more comfortable with "man".
    >
    > Good luck. I'm
    > still learning a lot too. One step at a time. I started totally ignorant,
    > just convinced I wanted to have an alternative to Microsoft. It's taken
    > me some time, but now I've got 2 RH and one other linux system on my home
    > network.

  6. Re: problem with RH v9.0

    surftagger wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:18:26 -0700, ritu wrote:
    >

    >>i have recently installed red hat linux v9.0 . as i am totally new to
    >>linux i had some problem initially , but soon could get over with it.
    >>
    >> some of the problems that i am facing are
    >>
    >> 1. when ever i try to set my mouse setting or access my printer i get
    >>the following message
    >>
    >> " you are attempting to run " redhat - config - ------ " which
    >>requires administrative priviledges , but more information is needed
    >>in order to do so."
    >>
    >> then a required password window comes . i give the password , that i
    >>gave when i try to load to boot linux.but it does not work.
    >>
    >> 2. they say that linux is programmer's paradise , but where to write
    >>the commands.
    >> can anyone please tell where to click ?
    >>
    >> 3. how to surf the internet using the linux ?
    >>
    >> thanking you in advance.
    >>
    >> with regards
    >>
    >> rituraj

    > If you can't remember your "root" password you set when you installed
    > RH9, you may find the easiest solution is to reinstall. You have to find
    > a way to get root priveleges in order to use redhat config utilities.
    > Repeat: you must establish a root account before you can do much with
    > Linux.
    >
    > There are several ways to start a terminal (window where you type in
    > commands) program. I prefer the KDE "konsole" terminal.
    >
    > 1) Click on the red hat in the lower left corner of your screen.
    > 2) Click on "Run Program..."
    > 3) In the "Run Program" dialog box, type: konsole
    >
    > If you installed/install the documentation provided with RH9, you will
    > find good information on the basics of typing commands to control your
    > RH9.
    >
    > 1) Click on the red hat left lower corner of your screen
    > 2) Click on "Documentation" toward the top of the menu list that pops up
    > 3) Click on "Getting Started Guide"
    > 4) Section 13 covers the basics of typing in commands, and related Shell
    > topics
    >
    > The second icon from the left, just after the red hat, is usually the
    > Mozilla browser. If you are connected to the internet, clicking on it
    > will open a familiar browser window.
    >
    > The Red Hat documentation is pretty
    > good. I found third party books a lot better in the beginning than the
    > "man" pages or "info". Now that I have a beter grasp on the jargon and
    > terminology, I am more comfortable with "man".
    >
    > Good luck. I'm
    > still learning a lot too. One step at a time. I started totally ignorant,
    > just convinced I wanted to have an alternative to Microsoft. It's taken
    > me some time, but now I've got 2 RH and one other linux system on my home
    > network.

    Hello,

    In responding further, when you reinstall, you will be asked to
    fill in the root password. After you put it in, it is important that
    you remember it because if you forget, you might as well reinstall
    Linux. By the way, I have Red Hat Enterprise WS, version 3, which is
    pretty good. I am a newbie learning Linux as well and I am enjoying it
    very much. It's a great alternative to Windows and I would highly
    recommend it to anyone. I also have Mandrake Linux installed on another
    laptop, which is working well. There is definitely a learning curve
    with Linux, but it is well worth it.

+ Reply to Thread